Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting laid off again. How do we support our family?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:22 PM
  • 18 Replies

Hi, My hubby and I have been in many disagreements on this subject. For the last 2 years he has been on many temp jobs and keeps getting laid off after so many months. He has been laid off atleast 10 times. Where I live it is almost impossible to get a full time permanant job. He badly wants to go back to school for what he has 2 years already invested in. He had 2 years college in architecture drawing plans I think it's called. I would love to support him in this but with him in school how would we support our children. I can't work because right now I am high risk pregnancy and I checked into daycare and it would cost more for childcare than i would make for our 4 children. I do respite care and am cna but can't work right now. Even if I worked the night shift I would have to be awake durning the day for my 2 little ones. He wants to go to school full time and over an hour away each way. He says in order to get a good job he has to go back to school which i know is true but how do i make it work? He says thier are grants out thier to help with this but will they cover everything and can we for sure get them? He works 7 days a week right now and nights then sleeps till 2 every day. I already feel like a single parent and feel i just want sometime with him and family time for our children. If he goes to school and works we will never see him. I was thinking I could start a daycare again and let him go back but I already feel overwhelmed with trying to find enough time with my kiddos and feel like they would never get any of my time if I were to do that again. Has anyone went back to school full time with big family and used to grants to live on? What does it detail. Oh and did I mention my children have many medical issues which is a huge stressor and we are also being taken to court by the dhs system to pay for a child that isn't even his along with thousands of dollars for back pay because he thought he was her father and supported her for years. His ex wife knowing she was not his lied to him and knew who real dad was told him it was his for 5 years and put him on birthcertificate and then when they got divorced told sister to tell him. We had her for almost 5 years and then when we had our daughter she became very abusive to her and were forced to give her to bio grandparents and now they are comming after us and not bio dad. We are going to be in over our heads with childsupport as it is.  I am so confused. Any ideas please. I don't want negativity

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KimmyShaw
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Hmmmm, is there anyway to do at lease some of the classes online? that has got to be tough...

busymomkristin
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:38 PM

I asked him about this to and he can't because he can't get financial aid for online courses. He also has to do classes before hand because he has been out of school so long. His 2 years in college won't count they said and credits can't be transferred.

busymomkristin
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Anyone? This many views and nobody has been through this? Please bump to keep it going.

lovingwifey
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:52 PM

He could take classes online and I am sure you guys would qualify for pell and student loans.  That would help tremendously.  Gl!

lovingwifey
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:53 PM

He can get FA for online classes, not sure why they told him he cannot.  I get FA for online classes.  Has he thought about the military?  Like the reserves>  He could get his school paid for and get money every month for that to live off of.  Just an idea. 

Quoting busymomkristin:

I asked him about this to and he can't because he can't get financial aid for online courses. He also has to do classes before hand because he has been out of school so long. His 2 years in college won't count they said and credits can't be transferred.

busymomkristin
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Quoting lovingwifey:

He can get FA for online classes, not sure why they told him he cannot.  I get FA for online classes.  Has he thought about the military?  Like the reserves>  He could get his school paid for and get money every month for that to live off of.  Just an idea. 

Quoting busymomkristin:

Yes he was in the army but had to get out because his knees  need to be replaced and physically can't do it. He was relieved after 2 years.

Beautifulmom513
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:02 PM

my husband is an army reservist. he gets all his schooling paid for. plus they pay our rent. thats how we do it. i have no idea about other programs. good luck tho. i sure there something out there for him.

lovingwifey
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Then he can use Ch 31, how much of a disability did he recieve?  If it is about 30 percent he can go to school for free and get money to live off of. 

Quoting busymomkristin:

Quoting lovingwifey:

Quoting busymomkristin:

Yes he was in the army but had to get out because his knees  need to be replaced and physically can't do it. He was relieved after 2 years.

busymomkristin
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:41 PM

He never went for getting any money for it and when i mentioned it to him he said he wasn't afraid to work and he would suffer. In fact he refuses to go get his knees looked at again and he is in so much pain says he would be outta work to long without check. He is a workaholic. I know sooner rather than later he is going to have to do something

pyrateprincess
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:57 PM

no offense but it seems to me like your husband needs a swift kick in the rear end. there are tons of oppertunities and things to get schooling together. It seems like he's making up exuses as well. I'm not trying to bash this is just my opinion. good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)