• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Aspergers?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:44 PM
  • 14 Replies

First off I am sorry for all the post, this is the first time I have been on cafemom today.  

My Dad thinks my oldest has a mild form of Aspergers.  He said it is nothing to worry about.  He said this because when my son eats, his food can not touch eachother, he refuses to eat it if it has touched another food, if we "clean" the food with a napkin he will eat it.  But if the food is premixed, like pizza, tacos, ect he will eat that, but if we have green beans and pork chops then the food can not touch, stuff like that.  He will refuse.  He has always been this way.  Should I tell his ped and see what he says?  

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amanda_n_e
by Amanda on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:47 PM

He coyld just be picky. I'm like that with my food and I dont have aspergers

melissabarth
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:55 PM
Hi, my youngest son has high functioning autism/aspbergers,and he tends to mix his food all together,just some people can not have that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShadowRaven
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:58 PM

I agree. I know several people who are like that.

Quoting amanda_n_e:

He coyld just be picky. I'm like that with my food and I dont have aspergers

lovingwifey
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:59 PM

he will freak out if we do that, it does get frustrating for us.  The other day hubby mixed his mashed potatoes, green beans and meat together and he was very upset, would not touch it, my mom gave him a bannana (we were visiting) and he ate the whole thing in 5 secs, he was very hungry..

Quoting melissabarth:

Hi, my youngest son has high functioning autism/aspbergers,and he tends to mix his food all together,just some people can not have that.

bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Pfft, I don't have Aspergers and, until I became a mom, I used to have my food separated, too, and would eat things off my plate one at a time.

CAMKsMom
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Yes. If you suspect a medical related situation you should contact your child's pediatrician.  Hopefully, your pediatrician will use more than one criteria to determine if there is indeed a problem with your son.

http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/mental-health-aspergers-syndrome?page=2

http://www.livingwithaspergers.com/aspergers-cast-test-for-children.html

Also, I find it peculiar that you would say that your son doesn't like his food mixed but then your husband mixed his food and you seemed surprised when your son freaked out.  Just an observation.

CafeMom Tickers
lovingwifey
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Thank you for those links, my son has an appt on weds.  I will ask his ped, we needed to inform him that my bil (hubby's brother) Is schitzo, (really bad!) My parents said that our children could possibly have that since it is a passed down trait?  IDK.  His brother is very bad, says he is married to Princess Diana, wants to sue the Govt, ect.  He has been in the hospital numerous times and does great but once they release him he refuses to take his meds, it has gotten so bad, they are going to court order him to take the meds.  (sorry I know off topic) 

Quoting CAMKsMom:

Yes. If you suspect a medical related situation you should contact your child's pediatrician.  Hopefully, your pediatrician will use more than one criteria to determine if there is indeed a problem with your son.

http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/mental-health-aspergers-syndrome?page=2

http://www.livingwithaspergers.com/aspergers-cast-test-for-children.html

CAMKsMom
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Quoting lovingwifey:

Thank you for those links, my son has an appt on weds.  I will ask his ped, we needed to inform him that my bil (hubby's brother) Is schitzo, (really bad!) My parents said that our children could possibly have that since it is a passed down trait?  IDK.  His brother is very bad, says he is married to Princess Diana, wants to sue the Govt, ect.  He has been in the hospital numerous times and does great but once they release him he refuses to take his meds, it has gotten so bad, they are going to court order him to take the meds.  (sorry I know off topic) 

Are your parents qualified to diagnose psychological/emotional/mental disorders?

Is your pediatrician also an internist?  Why do you need to talk to a pediatrician about your brother in law?  (I'm operating under the assumption that your brother in law is not a child)

lovingwifey
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:36 PM

My Dad is trained to read signs of Autism, ect.  My Mom has a degree is Psychology.  My parents just said we need to inform the ped of my bil, (he is 25) since that runs in the family.  

Quoting CAMKsMom:

Quoting lovingwifey:

Are your parents qualified to diagnose psychological/emotional/mental disorders?

Is your pediatrician also an internist?  Why do you need to talk to a pediatrician about your brother in law?  (I'm operating under the assumption that your brother in law is not a child)

crazymama0286
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:40 PM

He's a little kid. I think most kids are like that at some point.  I know someone who has aspergers and he eats things that touch each other.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)