• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Terrible Twos?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:55 PM
  • 10 Replies

My daughter will be two next month.  Recently, we have noticed a remarkable change in her behavior. She will not listen.  If you call her, she looks and walks the other way.  If you tell her no, she will push the limits to get a reaction.  I truly do not know what to do.  We have tried everything.  If I raise my voice, she just laughs at me.  If I get down on her level and try to talk to her, she will ignore me.  Please don't get the impression that she is a bad girl, as for the most part she is a great little girl.  This is all new, and I'm sure it's a stage, but while in this stage, I need advice on how to deal with her.  How to make her understand she must listen to mommy and daddy.  embarrassed

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kimora_neko
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:09 PM

When you figure out please tell me. my DD just turned two. We use time outs

bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:26 PM

She's not bad, she's just two, and unfortunately, this behavior is why it's called the Terrible Twos (although 3's were far worse with mine, lol). Time outs worked with mine. I drew a circle in the corner and made them put their nose in it for 2 minutes (I was advised to use 1 min per year of age, and it's a pretty good guideline). If they got up, they were put back, and the 2 min started over. They couldn't play with toys, watch TV, or anything, until the time was up. Be firm, be consistent, and though she'll keep trying and keep pushing those limits, she'll learn to do as Mommy says or she'll be stuck in the corner. ;)

caiti
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:30 PM

See, I attempt time outs, but I just have a screaming flailing little boy who runs as soon as he's placed in the designated spot. I just feel like an idiot chasing him down. He's pretty good for the most part, but we have some hairy tantrums sometimes. I pretty much just ignore them. Bedtime's the hardest.

Mia055
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:30 PM

My son is turning two in a lil over a week from now...but he's been really acting up since i was preggo...my hubby makes him stand in the corner...he ends up falling asleep like 2 min later or he'll just stop actin up and behave...like your lil girl he is generally a really good smart lil boy, just cant wait till the stage is over with

Quoting bamababe1975:

She's not bad, she's just two, and unfortunately, this behavior is why it's called the Terrible Twos (although 3's were far worse with mine, lol). Time outs worked with mine. I drew a circle in the corner and made them put their nose in it for 2 minutes (I was advised to use 1 min per year of age, and it's a pretty good guideline). If they got up, they were put back, and the 2 min started over. They couldn't play with toys, watch TV, or anything, until the time was up. Be firm, be consistent, and though she'll keep trying and keep pushing those limits, she'll learn to do as Mommy says or she'll be stuck in the corner. ;)

Vegetarianmama
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:33 PM
Like a PP, I too, try time outs. He knows I'm serious when I put him in a time out.
If he doesn't sit in the time out, I walk in, pick him up and put him back in his time out chair with out saying anything. Ill do this over and over until he sits in for his 2 minutes with out getting up. He takes me seriously then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrevonsMommy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:35 PM

LOL I am with the PP if you find an answer please let me know...

tristin23
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:36 PM

When my son started doing all that, we tried timeouts, which for him didn't work. We'd put him in the corner, kitchen, living room, didn't matter. he could have cared less, until we started putting him in his crib. he couldn't leave, he had no toys, nothing. Then when he was completely quiet, his two minute time started, but only after he was quiet. Then when the time was up, we told him that he must listen and be a good boy so he wouldn't have to have quiet time in his bed. He still has his moments when he gets tired, but for the most part, he is an amazingly good kid.

newmom0607
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Time outs work the best for my two boys also. Although, my three year old, it doesn't much of an impression on him as it use to!! I usually just take the toy he his favoring that day away from him until he starts behaving. It is going to be very hard and stressful, but it will pass eventually! just be strong!!

babygirl66610
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:43 PM

At this age there is not much you can do. But have you tried time out in her high chair belted in. Take the tray off if u like and belt her in and make her sit down. She needs some time to know she has been bad. And she needs something. Since everything you do dont help.

LewLew
by on Jun. 30, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Thanks ladies!  I've tried time outs, and they do not work.  If anything, they cause a total breakdown.  I'm working on the positive reinforcement thing right now, and that seems to help.  We focus on all her good behaviors, and not the bad. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)