• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's the point of lifeguards? (just venting)

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:15 PM
  • 183 Replies

If they are just gonna sit there TXTING and not recognizing that a child is in trouble??

This happened to me earlier today and quite honestly I am still ticked off about it. I took my kids to our neighborhoods private pool. My son was in the 5-6 ft playing with a few of the boys there while I was in the 1 ft with my 3 y/o. I hear my son scream for me and when I look over and locate him...I notice he is flailing around, bobbing under the water. I looked at the lifeguard as I yanked my Dd out of the water and she is looking DOWN at her phone txting!! I said "Are you f**king kidding me?" As I ran PAST her to dive in and get my son. By the time I reached him and had a hold of him, I saw out of my peripheral that she was JUST moving. All she did was sit up like she was thinking about getting up, but then sat back down....apparently assuming that since I was in the water and had him...it was all ok. (which in hind sight it was) My son climbs out and I do too and we walk back past her to our chairs and she doesn't even acknowledge what just happened or check to make sure he was ok! Several other members came by with a "omg, is he ok?" but not the damn lifeguard! She sat there as if nothing happened. I was SOOO mad....the LEAST she could have done was ASK to make sure he was ok! I mean last time we were there, my Dd fell and the lifeguard got up and came all the way to the other side of the pool to ask if she was ok and needed a bandaide!

A few mins later she called a "kids out" so she could take a break. I not so kindly commented "What exactly do you need a break from? Txting while you ignore kids in trouble?" She of course, didn't even acknowledge me. Which is fine, she got my point. 

I have called the owners of the pool and reported her, so waiting to hear what they say back.

Just needed to vent. 

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MandiK
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Wow... I hope she gets fired

christiea
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:18 PM
I would have taken her phone and threw it in the pool when I walked back past her
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robsgurl_23
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:20 PM
I agree why take the job if you are just gonna sit there text on your phone the whole time. I think she should be fired for that. I just don't understand why would a lifeguard be more interested in texting people instead of doing their job. Is what you have to talk about really that important that it can't wait til you get off from work. She should have an understanding that she is suppose to be watching the people in the pool not on her phone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dustinsmom1
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Maybe you should have been in the pool w/ him. Now there'sa novel concept. Sorry, but I'm not putting my kids life in the hands of anyone. Most lifeguards are 16-17 yrs old, not gonna put too much faith in them to be able to react in a real emergency. Sorry, but if your child is going to be in the water, I think you should be in there w/ them. Your bitching about her texting, but what were YOU doing at the time?

AmeyX2KidZ
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Quoting christiea:

I would have taken her phone and threw it in the pool when I walked back past her

I seriously thought about that, but then I can't afford to replace it and you know I would get into trouble for that. 

Vegetarianmama
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Quoting christiea:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NattysMommy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:22 PM

That is terrible. Glad your kiddo is ok though! We have some lifeguards at our pool that do absolutely nothing but then there are a few that do care. One day my DD was running around the pool (she climbed out of the pool and took off before we even had a chance to get out) the lifeguards kept saying no running. It is obvious that she is little and doesn't give a crap about someone she doesn't know nonchalantly saying don't run, but when she went to the ladder in the 5ft right nextto the lifeguard and a few ppl in the pool they all just sat and watched (as I tried to catch her right when she got out and then) as I tried to run over to where she was while screaming at her not to jump in the water. I was so pissed that none of them tried to help! But another time we were there my DD was crying cause she didn't want to share a toy and a life guard came over and asked if she was alright. It is good to know that some of them actually do care! So sad that most don't though!

Sometimes it takes all the energy I have to not go off and tell some bitch just how stupid she really is!! So excuse me for sounding rude...I'm trying to be nice...it's just that you're probably that bitch today  =]

ColieO
Do you not read?

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Maybe you should have been in the pool w/ him. Now there'sa novel concept. Sorry, but I'm not putting my kids life in the hands of anyone. Most lifeguards are 16-17 yrs old, not gonna put too much faith in them to be able to react in a real emergency. Sorry, but if your child is going to be in the water, I think you should be in there w/ them. Your bitching about her texting, but what were YOU doing at the time?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmeyX2KidZ

What was I doing? I was in the water with my 3 yr old who can't swim. He can, he's almost 9. This lifeguard was NOT a teen..and ALL our lifeguards are properly and extensively trained. 

Quoting dustinsmom1:

ColieO
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:24 PM
Some pools have shitty lifeguards. Some have lifeguards that actually care about their job. I was a lifeguard for three years. If we were caught not actively sweeping our zone for more than twenty seconds, we were written up.

Good for reporting her. I would also file a complaint on the pool itself with a water safety division. I'm not sure who the pool is under or I would tell you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)