Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone have a family member that has Spinal Stinosis?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:20 PM
  • 5 Replies

My mother is 73 and has lumbar spinal stinosis. She is getting her 3rd steriod shot in the back but so far no luck with helping the pain and numbness down her legs. She also is in physical therapy 2 times a week and nothing helps. Im afraid the only thing left is surgery. Would like to talk to any out there that have it.

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
dre_bunny
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:28 PM

I'm sorry. I have no idea what that is.. but here is bump for you :)

Deb1010
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:38 PM

BUMP!

Ms.Upinyourface
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:41 PM

It is narrowing of the spinal cord space .

I am  not fond of physical therapists as they are often not able to accurately address the problem due to the high costs of the quality of attention and training someone with this requires to get symptom relief. It seems like the PT doesn't work and is another selling point to "try" surgical intervention. Which for this might be fusion of the spinal column. Which last time I look fails so that most people get 2-3 more surgical interventions and that is on that one location.

When spine verdebra are fused together the next weakest joint in the spine takes on new stress.

I would try chiropractic before accepting a surgical intervention. A well trained competent chiropractor will be able to review any MRI and x rays and do another orthopedic eval and may very well offer symptom relief for this now. If intervention is recommended by a chiropractor that secondary effect I mentioned , afterward, maybe handled with a better outcome over all as well.

Because this type of pain is like the feeling that one experiences when one needs a root canal...very painful and limiting...a person with this condition is an easy mark for a promise of relief. When this procedure fails, the person is not any  better and maybe much worse off so getting a second and third opinion and taking care to understand what the practitioner is saying is extremely important. And the person involved feels so terrible sometimes it is just awful.

mama_l
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Yes my father and grandfather have it.  My father had surgery and that did not go very well.  It is 3 years later and he still has trouble holding his head up.  My grandfather is 96, so while he would love to have surgery, he is unable.  I hope things get better for your mother.  I wish I had a more positive note to add.

fairymom2316
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:50 PM

I'm sorry to hear that =(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)