Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hemp! Why Not Legalize It?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:45 PM
  • 30 Replies

Poll

Question: Should Hemp Be Legalized?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 22

View Results

Hemp is illegal to grow in the U.S..  Instead of growing hemp, and profiting off of it, we are stuck importing it from other countries.  It was labeled as a 'billion dollar crop' in the 1930's.  Imagine how much it would help out our economy today.  I don't understand why we can't grow industrialized hemp. 

What is hemp?

So, what is hemp? – Hemp is a variety of the cannabis sativa plant.  Hemp is a weed and grows very quickly and in very diverse soil conditions.  Cultivation of hemp for industrial purposes has been undertaken for over 12,000 years. Industrial hemp was the primary fiber used to manufacture rope, canvas, paper, and clothing until alternative textiles for these purposes were discovered.  Now hemp oils, hemp plastics, hemp building materials and many hemp fiber products can be seen on the market. Hemp is truly an amazing plant with the potential to help “green up” many industries.

Traditionally, hemp has been a very coarse fiber when raw, which made it well suited to rope but less than ideal for clothing designed to be worn against delicate human skin. Advances in breeding of the plants and treatment/processing of the fibers have resulted in a much finer, softer hemp fiber, which is ideal for weaving into hemp clothing.

The “re-”growth of industrial hemp in the United States is heavily regulated, although the neighboring nation of Canada successfully grows hemp commercially.  Since becoming legal to grow again in Canada, the crop has taken off and has become a booming multi-million dollar export. 

Hemp facts

Hemp and History
Here are some fun and very interesting facts regarding hemp. Some of them are more scientific than others but I think we all can agree on how interesting they are.

• Until 1883, 75-90% of all paper in the U.S. was made with hemp.
  • Hemp seed was the # 1-selling bird feed; 4 million pounds were sold in the U.S. in 1937.
  • In the mid-to-late 1800’s the 2nd & 3rd most commonly used medications were concentrated cannabis extracts and resins (a.k.a. hashish).
  • A bridge in the south of France dated at 500-700 A.D. was built with a mixture of hemp.
  • In 1941 Henry Ford built a car with a plastic made from hemp and wheat straw.
  • Until 1937 70-90% of all rope and twine was made with hemp.
  • Both George Washington and Thomas Jefferson grew hemp on their plantations.
  • In 1850 the U.S. Census reported 8,327 hemp plantation of at least 2000 acres in size. Not counted were thousands of smaller crops.
  • The original Levi Strauss jeans were made from hemp.
  • In 1942 the U.S. government strongly encouraged hemp cultivation to help with the war effort, going so far as to produce a film entitled “Hemp For Victory“.
  • The version of the Declaration of Independence released on July 4, 1776 was written on hemp.

Hemp and Industry
There are over 25,000 known uses for hemp.
The heating and compressing of hemp fibers can create building materials superior to wood in strength, quality and cost.
Hemp is heat, mildew, pest, light, and rot resistant.
Hemp fabric is softer, warmer, more water resistant and more durable than cotton. Hemp fabric also uses less chemicals to produce.
Industrial uses of hemp in China date as far back as 10,000 years.

Hemp as a Fuel Source

A bio-diesel fuel is one made from hemp oil, vegetable oil, or other animal fat(see hemp fuel). The original idea wax developed in 1895 by Dr. Rudolph Diesel, who developed the first engine than ran on vegetable oil. He demonstrated the engine at the 1900 World Exhibition in Paris, France, running the engine on peanut oil.
Hemp can be blended with diesel fuel in any ratio or used alone.
Biodiesel fuel is the only alternative fuel that can be used as-is, in any un-modified diesel engine.
The increased use of biodiesel fuels would reduce dependence on foreign sources while increasing national agricultural jobs and revenues.
The flashpoint of petroleum fuel is 125 degrees Fahrenheit while the flashpoint of biodiesel fuels is 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
Biodiesel fuels have been used successfully in Europe for over 20 years.

Imagine if we could grow and sell hemp.  Back in the 1920's, Popular Mechanics said it was a Billion Dollar Crop.  That was back in the 1920's!  It's too bad the government is so deep into the pharmaceutical, cloth, paper, etc... industries.  This could really help pull our country out of our monetary problems.  There is so much we can do with hemp.

Here are some propaganda photos (one from a video) the government used to get farmers to GROW HEMP!

How About Hemp Uses!!!

Welcoming our 6th baby, 3rd home birth and 1st unassisted birth on 2-10-10.

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IhartU
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Well if people stopped smoking it and it were used for things other than that, I'd have no issue with it being legal.

tashibaby

Because everyone is going to smoke the flower and we will be a useless nation!!!!!! We're all going to die and get our kids taken away!!! AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

beccajain2008

Interesting. Wont input my opinion cuz of all the bashing that'll start but WAY CUTE BABY!! &Congrats!

Ali84Shorty
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:51 PM

ok..maybe i wont put my opnion let the bashing begin lol. you people do realize medical  use most people smoke it even though yes the despenceries supply baked goods as well....

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Hemp as a clothing/food/shampoo use is legal.  Now to smoke it, i dont know if it has the same effect as marijuana does since i have never smoked either.

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Quoting IhartU:

Well if people stopped smoking it and it were used for things other than that, I'd have no issue with it being legal.

If someone is smoking hemp, all they will get is more than likely going to be a headache.  You smoke marijuana.  You don't smoke hemp.  Hemp has very, very little THC, and you cannot get high off of it.

imamombygrace
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:16 PM

I thought Hemp used as material items was legal? I use to own a lot of hemp necklaces back in high school. I use to wear these different glass bottles that you added essential oils into. The necklace itself was made out of hemp.

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Quoting imamombygrace:

I thought Hemp used as material items was legal? I use to own a lot of hemp necklaces back in high school. I use to wear these different glass bottles that you added essential oils into. The necklace itself was made out of hemp.

We have to import it from other countries.  It is illegal to grow hemp in the United States.  So, we buy it from other countries, instead of profiting off of it ourselves.

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Quoting beccajain2008:

Interesting. Wont input my opinion cuz of all the bashing that'll start but WAY CUTE BABY!! &Congrats!

Thanks. ;)

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Jun. 28, 2010 at 1:04 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)