• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You have to be poor or rich to go to pre-k? UPDATE POLL 2nd UPDATE in RED

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:57 PM
  • 54 Replies

Poll

Question: WWYD

Options:

send

don't send

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 57

View Results

So I went and finished registering and I didn't need to reapply so she starts on the 23.I refused toapply for the lunch program since I knew we wouldn't qualify, I will either pay for or pack her lunch.Thanks everyone for the replies.

I am so frustrated with the early education school system. I have a four year old that will be five in November and no way of getting her into a Pre-k program. There is a beautiful EE school in our area but we make to much to qualify.The only other school that has an affordable pre-k program (130) a month has a school lottery program because their are more applicants than spaces and she is currently #34 on the waiting list. There are some private schools in the area but I can't afford them.It wouldn't be a big deal for her to be at home with me but I feel she is behind,as much as I show her her numbers and letters she just doesn't want to hear it.All I want for her is to be on every one's level when she starts kindergarten next year.what do you do when you are barely scraping by, but make too much for assistance?

So i had pe-registered my daughter before my husband changed jobs and at that time we did qualify but the admissions lady had told me they would re-screen applicants in July so i never took her birth certificate and social card.Last week the lady called me and asked when i would be turning in the info and i told her i wasn't because we know longer qualified and asked if there was a way to pay.she told me to put no change and just bring the info in because they went to half days this year the don't have enough students.I took the info in and go back on the 19th so I'll see what happens then.Do you think it's wrong to still send her? She does need the help as much as i try to teach her she is not picking anything up.

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dylansmom08
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:04 PM

If you were honest with them and she told her to send in the info. anyway I say go for it. I mean you are not doing anything except what you were told to do. I think it is wrong that you have to be of a certain class to get your kids into school early. All kids regardless of their parents income need an education especially if they are not able to learn at home. My son is the same way, well sort of he is Autistic and I am fighting tooth and nail to get him into some type of schooling. He is testing too high to qualify for the Autism programs in our area but he is lacking the social interaction and behavioral skills needed to function in a normal classroom right now. I am trying to get him into some type of school to work on these things so that he can be placed in a normal kindergarten classroom when he does start real school. Its a constant battle but we do what we got to do as parents to get what is best for our kids and I think no one will bash us for that.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:07 PM

For help try online sites that are free as well like Starfall.com and Kneebouncers.com.  Starfall is more of a reading/abc kind of site where as kneebouncers is numbers, shapes, colors etc for ages 1 and up i think.    I would follow whatever the people are telling you to do to get her in.

DD is 4 and i cant get her in any of the low cost places at all due to my guys pension.

Sharon300
by Sharon on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Wow. Around where I live the public schools have Pre-k classes. my DD went there. They didnt do it according to my income, but how my DD tested.

soleismommy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:34 PM

yes i know the feeling. The cheapest pre-k school here that I have found is 220 a month for 2 days a week and only half day! full days and more days a week are much more pricey!

DueInJan2011
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:38 PM

We are going through the same thing!  I am signing my 3 year old up for a bunch of different activities instead of preschool. :(  so frustrating...

DueInJan2011
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:40 PM

No I don't think it is wrong to still send her, the lady gave you the go ahead..

Pnukey
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:41 PM

My girl couldn't go to the public pre-K either. It was only for low income minority students. She stayed at home and did just fine in kinder. Now, we've moved, and pre-K was for everyone, so we sent my son.

futureshock
by Emerald Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:43 PM

I took the info in and go back on the 19th so I'll see what happens then.Do you think it's wrong to still send her? She does need the help as much as i try to teach her she is not picking anything up.

I don't get why it would be wrong?

katieschroeder
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:48 PM

I totally understand.  I have my dd signed up to start in september for pre-k and it's going to cost me $375 per month for 3 half days a week.  My job is ending in August and I honestly don't know how I'm going to pay.  I'm obviously going to get another job, but it'll have to be nights/weekends when my dh is home, which won't pay everything I need.  (I take my son to work with me right now).  We'll make it work somehow, we always do!

gulfcoastmom4
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:51 PM

If you have a YMCA they might do one, ours does. My three year old is starting this September. Of course I put her on the waiting list as soon as she got old enough.

Sorry to say but its probably too late in the year already.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)