Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why can't you be a surrogate if you're on public assistance?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:58 PM
  • 18 Replies

Just wondering. I fit all other qualifications but that one. I'm a college student(4.0 GPA), married, 3 kids, no STDs, and I love being pregnant and I would love to give a child to women who cannot bear their own.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
haydensmama08
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:59 PM

maybe they are afraid that you will only be in it for the money. Not saying thats why you would do it but that maybe what they are thinking.

norahsmommy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:00 PM

perhaps its because it would make benifits more complex?

Ajanee12
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Because the state would be paying for your medical bills IF your on medicaid or  your Food if your on wic or food stamps while being pregnant.

Lizzie1984
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:02 PM
Perhaps they think you are doing it for the money. And also on average people on pa eat more unhealthy. But honestly idk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChaoticAtBest

from what I understand you would be removed from public assistance and they are concerned you wouldn't be able to make it finacially. They know that some people blow the money quick and do not requalify for assistance after.

junebug624
Because if you're on assistance you can't support yourself already and if something happens during pregnancy and you lose your job or are hospitalized how will you care for the baby inside you. You're not supposed to be a surrogate for financial gain
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FL2AK
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Well I would think the money you would make from it would knock you off of public assistance.  Maybe they do not want people doing who are just doing it for the financial gain.  Not saying you would be, please do not take it that way.  I would also think that if someone is on medicaid that the government should not be responsible for the prenatal costs.

I know a couple years ago Tricare was having a huge issue with military wives being surrogates because they were having to pay for the costs of the baby (prenatal and delivery) when the child was not going to be a military dependent.  People were looking for military wives to be surrogates so they could save money on the costs since military wives have free healthcare.    

ChaoticAtBest
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Quoting Ajanee12:

Because the state would be paying for your medical bills IF your on medicaid or  your Food if your on wic or food stamps while being pregnant.

not true at least here in Florida. You have to cancel your benefits before they will let you go forward.

Vandyswife
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:05 PM

I dont think it should be allowed.

there is always a risk to you being pregnant. what if you lost your job??? or got put on bedrest and had to stop going to school??

be able to fully financially care for your family, and then try again.

epoh
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:05 PM
Does anyone know about surrogacy where there is no financial gain? Would that be allowed, if it was for a friend or family member?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)