Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How does this happen?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:24 PM
  • 137 Replies

I've read about two fires today where kids died and adults survived. I know I can't even begin to understand the tragedy they have suffered, but I think it's human nature to wonder HOW did that happen??

How do two adults escape, while a child dies? I can see if they were on the floor where the fire broke out and you weren't.... or maybe you were sleeping..... I don't know..... fire moves fast, I get that. I just can't wrap my mind out of leaving a burning building without a child in my arms.

Can someone help me understand?

Want to know more about me? Follow my PERSONAL blog. Would love to see you there. (nelliebugs-swaps.blogspot.com)

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FL2AK
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:25 PM

I have often wondered the same thing.

jrsmama0906

I often wonder the same thing when I hear that. I can't fathom that.

kimsamomof3
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:25 PM

I was wondering the same thing. I think I would be doing ever thing and anything to save my children. Now I am paranoid, my dd is at a sleep over

kansasmom1978

I always say that I would die in the fire before I left my child in the house to die.  But I guess until we are in that horrible situation we dont know what we will do.  But I would do my damnest to get my children out!

SassyPainter

I don't know, but I don't think I'd want to live if my child was going to die.

MomTo2Boys2526
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:26 PM

I personally couldn't leave the house without my children in tow..Makes me so sad about those poor babies who had to die =(

i.heart.rachel
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Quoting jrsmama0906:

I often wonder the same thing when I hear that. I can't fathom that.

I feel horrible even thinking it, because I would feel shitty enough if it happened but for people to question me afterwards... it'd be just awful. But I can't help but think about it. If a fire started ANYWHERE in my home, granted it's very small, I would go THROUGH the flames to get to my children. If they're dying, I might as well die trying.

Want to know more about me? Follow my PERSONAL blog. Would love to see you there. (nelliebugs-swaps.blogspot.com)

mamaoftwins9197
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:27 PM

It is a hard concept to grasp.  I know a local family that was affected by a fire, luckily no one died, but the 3-year old (at the time) triplets suffered burns and smoke inhalation while the father got out of the house.  The fire started very small on the back deck and he tried to put it out himself.  It spread to the house so fast, he couldn't even get back in.  He didn't take the kids out initially, because the fire was outside.  They were so badly injured because they had crib tents on and the firefighters had trouble getting them out...not too mention the book case that had fallen across the hallway. 

CafeMom Tickers
eviesmom453
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Quoting SassyPainter:

I don't know, but I don't think I'd want to live if my child was going to die.

This.

imthatgirl728
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Wouldn;t an adult have a lot more time then a child? So by the time they got to their child they may have been too late.

IDK, I don;t think it's all that nice to look at someone who lost a child and imply that they were selfish.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)