Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need ideas, what to do for my family?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:51 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hi ladies,

I need some ideas on what I can do to thank my family. They have all been such troopers during my chemo treatments. My DH waits on me hand and foot basically on top of working long hours, my mom cleans and cooks often for me and DD, my dad and step mom watch my DD a lot and help us out monetarily, and my in-laws watch DD when they can and help out significantly with out finances. I don't have a lot of money at all, but I would like to do something nice for them. I am pretty good at cooking but still have trouble getting around, so I need help in the kitchen. I wouldn't want to do a meal and have them help, you know? I've already written numerous thank you cards and say thank you everyday...I just feel like I should do something bigger, I'm just not sure what?

I was thinking of maybe doing a video thank you but I'm afraid I'd start crying (lol) and don't want them to cry too. Should I write them a poem? Maybe make each of them a cake?

Any ideas?

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jamiebrubaker

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Sarahb21
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:55 PM

Are you crafty at all? You could make some sort of craft. I make super cute and easy picture frames out of dollar store picture frames, scrapbook paper, scrapbook stickers or paper letters and mod podge. I give them for gifts a lot and people love them. You could make them and give each person a picture of you and them together. Let me know if it interests you and I could send you directions. :)

CallieLynsMommy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:57 PM

I am somewhat crafty, I can make hairbows! Lol. The picture frame idea is good! I could go to Micheals since I have a coupon and get some frames, letters, ribbon, etc. Would you mind sending me some directions/creative ideas?

Quoting Sarahb21:

Are you crafty at all? You could make some sort of craft. I make super cute and easy picture frames out of dollar store picture frames, scrapbook paper, scrapbook stickers or paper letters and mod podge. I give them for gifts a lot and people love them. You could make them and give each person a picture of you and them together. Let me know if it interests you and I could send you directions. :)

Sarahb21
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:02 AM

Of course I wouldn't mind! Give me a few minutes to find the link and I can send you a couple pictures of some that I have done. :) I have used the wooden frames that Micheals sells for a dollar and they turn out really cute, but no glass. So I went to the dollar store one day and found tons of cool frames for a dollar with the glass and stands! So I would highly recommend getting your frames from a dollar store. The variety you can get is awesome! I have made tons of multi pictures frames, single frames, frames with different shapes. But everything else I get at Micheals or Walmart.

Quoting CallieLynsMommy:

I am somewhat crafty, I can make hairbows! Lol. The picture frame idea is good! I could go to Micheals since I have a coupon and get some frames, letters, ribbon, etc. Would you mind sending me some directions/creative ideas?

Quoting Sarahb21:

ErikaM27
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:03 AM

What I do when I want to do something special I write them a book. There is a book for moms,dads,husbands etc. And you can write special thoughts in there like your favorite memories of them. How they've made a difference in your life etc the book has those type of questions and you write in your thoughts sort of like a journal. i've written these for my kids,my sister and my best friend . They loved it.

Sarahb21
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Ok here is the link on how to do it.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/AfFgoL/www.graciousrain.com/2009/09/04/simple-fancy-frames/

Here are a few of the basic ones I made. Most of my really cute ones I never took pictures of. :( But just let your creativity flow!

The multi frame is actually 4 of the micheals frames nailed together. When I finished it I put paper with a quote inside the frame on the left. It turned out super cute!

CallieLynsMommy
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:12 AM

Great idea, thanks!

Quoting ErikaM27:

What I do when I want to do something special I write them a book. There is a book for moms,dads,husbands etc. And you can write special thoughts in there like your favorite memories of them. How they've made a difference in your life etc the book has those type of questions and you write in your thoughts sort of like a journal. i've written these for my kids,my sister and my best friend . They loved it.

CallieLynsMommy
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:13 AM

Oh gosh, those are so cute! I hope mine will turn out as nice!

Quoting Sarahb21:

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/AfFgoL/www.graciousrain.com/2009/09/04/simple-fancy-frames/

Here are a few of the basic ones I made. Most of my really cute ones I never took pictures of. :( But just let your creativity flow!

The multi frame is actually 4 of the micheals frames nailed together. When I finished it I put paper with a quote inside the frame on the left. It turned out super cute!

Sarahb21
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 10:07 AM

I'm sure they will! Walmart sells these paper stacks (usually no more then $10) that have paper, along with matching punch out letters, qoutes and other things. I LOVE using those for the frames if I'm going to do words or qoutes or something. Just a fair warning though, these frames can be addicting! I have made sooo many already! I have to keep myself away from the scrapbook paper section at Micheals, otherwise I will go crazy!

Quoting CallieLynsMommy:

Oh gosh, those are so cute! I hope mine will turn out as nice!

Quoting Sarahb21:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)