Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Questions about feeding a 1 month old!

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 2:12 PM
  • 8 Replies
Allright, I am a new parent to an amazing 1 month old baby boy! He has been eating 4 oz. of formula every 3-4 hours. Everyone says that is fine. Well recently, when given 4 oz., he is still hungry, every time. SO we upped the ounces to 5. But now he is hungrier more often. It doesnt make since I know..but he fusses and fusses until we feed him again. It seems since we give him more ounces, he wouldnt eat as often. But he still eats every 3-4 hours..sometimes he is hungry after only a couple hours. We also were told to start giving him water for constipation. So..sometimes he eats 5 ounces of milk and a few ounces of water too. I want to feed him if he is hungry, but this just doesnt make since. WHat do you guys suggest and how much does your 1 month old eat. I need some good advice on whats going on!
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MOsMa
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 2:32 PM

I asked my Dr the same thing when my guys were infants... He told me they are still adjusting and to feed them when they are hungry. He will get on more of a routine when he gets older.

I would however, make sure he is hungry... Try entertaining him, changing his diaper ect... before feeding if it has only been 2 hours... At a month it is hard to read the baby's different cries.

I would also be sure to let the Dr know you are giving him water (unless maybe he suggested it...) We had problems with constipation also... My Dr told us to mix dark caro syrup with water...

Good luck and sleep every chance you get!!!

jamiejo24
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 2:52 PM
 Hello! My suggestion would be to call your DR first, but my neice is the same way. She eats all the time.(she's 4 mo.) They are eating so much because they are growing. I say if they're hungry, feed them, but that's my opinion. When they're that young, they eat alot and are trying to play catch-up from losing weight in the hospital after being born. Good Luck!Smile
rickys_momma112
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 2:58 PM

It sounds like he's going through a growth spurt. no more than 4 oz a water a day. Feed him whenever he is hungry. As for how much to feed him, look to you baby as a guide. He knows when he is ready to eat and when he is done. I breastfed when Ricky was that age and during his growthspurt he ate every 1-3 hrs. I am not sure how much he took in though since I breastfed.

kimchery
by Member on Apr. 14, 2007 at 3:04 PM
When my daughter was just over a month she was doing the same thing.  I told her pediatrician and he said I could being giving her a little cereal in her bottle.  There are a lot of people who don't believe a baby is developmentally ready for this, but I believe she was at the time.  If he goes on like that, Mention it to your pediatrician.  Sometimes they just are just ready for it a little earlier than most babies.  Right now my daughter is 4 months old and I just started feeding her with a spoon, cause she's used to the texture. 
chrissyhola
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 3:05 PM
I agree with feeding the baby when he is hungry. I have 3 and they were all little hungry monsters. I was told each time to let them eat when they want to eat. So if he is hungry feed him. Laughing
Jessmom
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 3:57 PM
I agree about feeding him when he wants. Some babies just have huge appetites. As soon as my son was born, they had to give him formula before I got out of recovery, because his blood sugar was too low.
Then, no matter how long I breast fed, he was not happy and I was stressed out. So they gave me a sleeping pill and kept him in the nursery that night. They checked and his blood sugar was low again. They were shocked, because he drank 3 times what the normal newborn did. But it made him happy after we figured it out. We ended up having to give up on the breast feeding after 2 weeks. We were both wore out and he had to have formula in addition to the breastfeeding. It was a hard decision, but we went to only formula. He drank much more than the average baby. He's 4 now and still eats like a horse. People are always shocked to see how well he eats, but he's skinny, strong and very active. Hardly ever gets sick, even though he's in daycare.
But I was always the same way, so it probably just runs in our family.
Hope this wasn't too wordy. Good luck.
Gina
glamourmommy
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 4:10 PM
I had the same problem, I have a little girl who is two months and very active. She started drinking 3 oz of formula when she was 2 and a half weeks old.  When she turned one month we were already giving her 4 oz., sometimes close to six.  It never made her sick, her diaper wettings were the same, her bowel movements stayed the same and she never threw up.  I took her to the doctor and asked if it was normal for her to eat that much so young and he said "yes, babies dont know how to do much but eat and sleep, feed on demand" . So I did and now at two months she drinks between 5oz and 6oz of formula about every 2-3hours.  We do give her about an ounce or two of water in between her feedings to help with constipation.  She sleeps through out the night and has been since she began to intake more ounces.  Ask your dr. but really your baby is growing really fast and requires much nutrition.
NursingStudent
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 6:09 PM
I agree with most of the advice on given.  Just one more thought.  How many hours does he sleep at night?  If he sleeps all night he will eat more during the day than you think he should to make up for those "skipped" feedings.  Good luck.  And I would say as long as he doesnt throw up after the feedings then he his not overly full, feed on demand!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)