Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Does kidney stone pain come and go? *edit*

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 12:27 PM
  • 12 Replies

I'm just trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with me!

Last night I got intense, excruciating pain in my back on the left side out of the blue. The only thing that really helped was a hot bath. I was also having trouble peeing for a couple hours. I took a Tylenol PM (the only thing I had) and eventually fell asleep for a few hours. Then woke up around midnight and was in pain again. Eventually fell asleep for a few hours again.

Now today I have not has as intense pain but it feels like it's in my back and around my front. I thought when you have a kidney stone you were just in pain until it passed.

Just trying to get an idea of what this could be. It's not like I can go to the hospital or doctor until my husband gets home at 5 because my car is in the shop.

*edit* The pain is not as intense as earlier now. I'm not sure if this is what I have. Maybe I just hurt my back. I decided to wait until tomorrow morning to see how I feel. Money is tight and I just can't justify going to the ER for something that might be ok in a day or two. Thanks for all the info earlier ladies!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaMa2Azriel
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Yes!  They only hurt when they are moving their way around your urinary tract to come out.  Sometimes they will stir, then stop.  That is exactly how one of mine did me as well...if they X-ray you, they can tell you if you have one.  (I've had 5)

MaMa2Azriel
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Oh, and they can be dangerous; the last one I had had completely blocked my left kidney.  That one started in my back, then went around to the front, then it felt like a UTI until I passed it.

MaMa2Azriel
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 12:31 PM

The reason they hurt as they come through is they are like small pebbles and sometimes they have barbs on them, so they are cutting veins and tissue as they come around...sorry, I just have lots of kidney stone experience lol

Daemons_mommy
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Thanks so much for the info. Guess I will make a trip to urgent care tonight after my hubby gets home. I would rather be safe than sorry!

KandiceN
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Yep!! when they are moving down the little tube it hurts soo bad, but if they stop then it doesn't hurt.

Are you peeing blood at all? That's usually a good sign lol Also, if the pain stops, make sure you catch your pee and very carefully check it as the stone may have passed.  Though usually once it makes it through you can feel it 'down there' until you pee it out, its a very annoying pain in your pee hole lol

I actually just passed a stone last night lol But mine take months to pass through and they aren't really painful.. I don't even know they're here until I feel that weird pain down there and I'm peeing blood. 

hoopsielv
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Yes, they just hurt when they are trying to move.  I've had 4 lithotripsies and if you have any questions, pm me!  I hope that you can pass it or get it removed soon!

nomadbrat83
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2010 at 12:35 PM
Yep me too. I get them genetically. Pain can come and go.

Quoting MaMa2Azriel:

The reason they hurt as they come through is they are like small pebbles and sometimes they have barbs on them, so they are cutting veins and tissue as they come around...sorry, I just have lots of kidney stone experience lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Daemons_mommy
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 12:40 PM

No, not peeing any blood. Ugh! This sucks!!

Quoting KandiceN:

Yep!! when they are moving down the little tube it hurts soo bad, but if they stop then it doesn't hurt.

Are you peeing blood at all? That's usually a good sign lol Also, if the pain stops, make sure you catch your pee and very carefully check it as the stone may have passed.  Though usually once it makes it through you can feel it 'down there' until you pee it out, its a very annoying pain in your pee hole lol

I actually just passed a stone last night lol But mine take months to pass through and they aren't really painful.. I don't even know they're here until I feel that weird pain down there and I'm peeing blood. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
MaMa2Azriel
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 12:43 PM

I have an uncle that actually has one almost weekly.  It's awful for him; I had my first when I was 17! lol  I had no idea what was wrong w/me, I was just throwing up everywhere and in horrible pain.

Quoting nomadbrat83:

Yep me too. I get them genetically. Pain can come and go.

Quoting MaMa2Azriel:

-Ashley, Conservative RepublicanSouthern Baptist in doubt of my faithPro-Life, raised in the SOUTH, can be stuck in my ways close-mindedWife of 5 years to PedroMother to Azriel <survivor of GastroschisisShort Bowel Syndrome, & a Small Bowel+Liver+Pancreas Transplant & US Army Soldier 

joshswife07
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 12:45 PM
I have had 10.one time I had 3 in one side and 1 in the other.u need to get it checked out because not all of them pass.I had to have 4 surgerys to remove them because they were too big to pass.You don't always pee blood.I never have.It can cause severe pain.I threw up in the er from hurting so bad several differnt times.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN