Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you stock up on household items?

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2010 at 1:06 PM
  • 21 Replies

Do you stock up on household items? What do you stock up on? I live in florida. Its hurricane season. So whenever we have extra money I stock up on paper towels and toilet paper. and can goods.

by on Jul. 10, 2010 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
carrieasia
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2010 at 1:11 PM
i shop at cosco. just started last month.it costs more at one time than i am use to, but cheaper over all kwim? i stock up on things so i never have to make a mad dash to the store. if i have things that i dont think i will use before the experation dates, i donate it to my local church's food bank before the experation date. and i always have things for my dds schools food runs!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomX04
by on Jul. 10, 2010 at 1:13 PM

I live in SC and yeah for hurricane season we stock up extra.  Thank you Hurricane Hugo.

But I always stay stocked up now since we have kids cause you never know what might happen.  In 2006 we had a tree fall through the middle of our house.  When we moved into our apartment two weeks later the stuff we had stocked up saved our butts cause neither me or hubby at the time had a job and it took practically everything we had just to pay the down payment. 

We also learned the importance of renters insurance, cause we didn't have any..... hard lesson to learn but one I will never forget.

eta: we stock up on water, dry foods like rice and beans, bathroom stuff, first aid kit supplies, things like that.

chais_wifey
by on Jul. 10, 2010 at 1:14 PM
When we are here in CO during winter we will definitely stock up. You never know when the stores will close due to snow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my2sons2007
by on Jul. 10, 2010 at 1:15 PM

We shop at Sam's club once a month.  I buy laundry soap and stuff like that every other month.....and then we have a constant supply of TP and paper towels.  I also buy noodles and canned goods.  Meat too.

ILive4This
by on Jul. 10, 2010 at 1:16 PM

We always have extra everything.  My dh HAS to have it that way.  We always have the next whatever, waiting in the wings...when the first one is almost gone....another backup shows up.  It drives me nuts...but, we never run out of anything. 

aj23
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2010 at 1:19 PM

I stock up on anything that doesn't need to be refrigerated or frozen. I have our emergency stash of food with canned foods, bottled water and other things because in the spring time we can get some nasty storms and tornadoes that take the power out and in the winter we have ice storms that cause problems. The stores here close when they mention snow on the forecast so you can never rely on them to be open. I also have a stash of stapes but most of our food needs to go in the fridge and I can't stock up on it.
I also have a closet full of things like shampoo, conditioner, body wash, razors, paper towels, tp, pretty much anything that is used in day to day life. I have gotten a lot  free or at a really good price. Usually the closet stays full but things get put in and taken out a lot because I give some to anyone who needs it.

Kaelansmom
by on Jul. 10, 2010 at 1:20 PM

All the time... I am in Hawaii.. the tsunamis (rare as they are) can really throw you for a loop

Rachealla09
by on Jul. 10, 2010 at 1:24 PM

we are fixing to get a freezer. I am going stock up on meats and other frozen foods. My husband is getting a nice comission check at the end of this month. Pay off any bills that need to be paid and make sure have enough of everything. I have 4 kids and one otw. And i watch 4 others. When i run out of something i am like argh lol.

MomX04
by on Jul. 10, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Quoting Rachealla09:

we are fixing to get a freezer. I am going stock up on meats and other frozen foods. My husband is getting a nice comission check at the end of this month. Pay off any bills that need to be paid and make sure have enough of everything. I have 4 kids and one otw. And i watch 4 others. When i run out of something i am like argh lol.

Do you have a generator?  Our generator saved us big time when the tree fell on the house.  Our freezer was full to the brim cause I had just left the store from shopping maybe 3 minutes before the damn tree fell down.

mom23boys679
by on Jul. 10, 2010 at 1:27 PM

I do. I do couponing a lot, too. The $3 Tide stain release coupon that comes in the paper, ends up being .97/ea at Walmart, so we get it there. My local paper boy always saves the extra inserts for me, so I always have lots to use at once. It ends up being a really good deal. Especially in the winter when the weather can get bad....don't want to be worrying if you have enough of something.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)