Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

* Evolution * AND * Global Climate Change *

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2010 at 4:35 PM
  • 44 Replies

Poll

Question: What are your stances?

Options:

pro- Evolution, pro- Global Climate Change

pro- Evolution, neutral- Global Climate Change

pro- Evolution, anti- Global Climate Change

neutral- Evolution, pro- Global Climate Change

neutral- Evolution, neutral- Global Climate Change

neutral- Evolution, anti- Global Climate Change

anti- Evolution, pro- Global Climate Change

anti- Evolution, neutral- Global Climate Change

anti- Evolution, anti- Global Climate Change

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 68

View Results

In Answers, someone wrote:

• And these "climate control" scientists think I'm crazy for believing in Creation?!? Um, I don't think so, Vern.

Is there a link between 'pro- Evolution' and 'pro- Global Climate Change' ?  Does holding one stance mean you're more likely to hold the other?   Does being 'anti- ' one mean you're more likely to be 'anti- ' the other?

Which stances do you hold, and why?

by on Jul. 10, 2010 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Clairwil
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Note: for the purposes of this discussion...

pro- Evolution stance :== humans share a common ancestry with other species, such as horses; and we do not require the hypothesis of an intelligent designer intervening to explain this sort of change over time of species, from single celled organisms up to the current state.

anti- Evolution stance :== humans don't share a common ancestry; or an intelligent designer's intervention is required to explain how complex creatures have evolved.

pro- Global Climate Change stance :== there have been significant changes in the global climate over the last 200 years, which have been primarily due to human activity and are happening far faster than can be explained through natural cycles and fluctuations.  These will have a negative economic impact and, on a planetary level, it makes economic sense in the long term to reduce the emission of greenhouse gasses now in order to reduce the size of that impact.

anti- Global Climate Change stance :== there is no current change, or the current change is not significant, or the current change is not primarily due to human activity, or it will have no significant economic impact, or the impact doesn't justify the cost of any measures to reduce greenhouse gas emission.

a "neutral- " stance on either issue means that you don't know, don't care, don't want to say, or are just not 75% or more convinced in either direction.

StarsChildren
by on Jul. 10, 2010 at 5:26 PM
personally... i believe in both creation and evolution, i think they go hand in hand with one another. as for climate change, i believe mother earth is coming to the end of one of her cycles and the climate will change in stages, more storms, different weather patterns, etc... she is cycling through like a woman cycles, just on a bigger scale.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomX04
by on Jul. 10, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Clairwil
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2010 at 5:43 PM
Quoting MomX04:

Why?

And do you think there is a link between the two topics, for some people?

mom2ljh
by on Jul. 10, 2010 at 5:46 PM

I am neither pro nor anti evolution.  Parts of evolution are feasible and, even observable.  Parts; however, are far fetched and leave themselves open to be questioned.  The idea that RNA and amino acids grew and mutated on clay crystals, eventually forming protocells (first life) is just a bit much for me.  The idea that ALL life spawned from those protocells is, again, a bit much for me.  I don't believe the Endosymbiotic Theory explains the way chloroplasts and mitochondria came to exist as organelles inside a eukaryotic cell.  I do believe that Darwin's finches developed beaks specific to their diets through micro-evolution.  
I haven't learned enough about global climate change to be able to have an educated opinion, so as of now, I am neutral erring on the side of skeptical. 

Amanda ~ Mommy to my little miracle Landon Joel
born 6 weeks too soon~6-21-07

Then                                           Now

Clairwil
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2010 at 5:55 PM
Quoting mom2ljh:

I am neither pro nor anti evolution.  Parts of evolution are feasible and, even observable.  Parts; however, are far fetched and leave themselves open to be questioned.  The idea that RNA and amino acids grew and mutated on clay crystals, eventually forming protocells (first life) is just a bit much for me.

Ah, that would actually be abiogenesis, rather than evolution.  A fascinating subject in its own right.

If you're interested in abiogenesis, and want to know the current state of play, the following video is well worth watching:

mom2ljh
by on Jul. 10, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting mom2ljh:

I am neither pro nor anti evolution.  Parts of evolution are feasible and, even observable.  Parts; however, are far fetched and leave themselves open to be questioned.  The idea that RNA and amino acids grew and mutated on clay crystals, eventually forming protocells (first life) is just a bit much for me.

Ah, that would actually be abiogenesis, rather than evolution.  A fascinating subject in its own right.

If you're interested in abiogenesis, and want to know the current state of play, the following video is well worth watching:

No, I'm not really interested in it, just in getting THROUGH this part of the course so I can get to the biology courses I WANT to take, lol.

MomX04
by on Jul. 10, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting MomX04:

Why?

And do you think there is a link between the two topics, for some people?

I guess for me there is a link because I believe in evolution, always have and as far as global warming, climate change, the Earth gets warmer and it gets colder over and over again.  There is scientific evidence of this that has been documented repeatedly.  It is what it is.  I do believe however that man kind is (not isn't edit here) having an effect on the environment as a whole but not the whole Al Gore doomsday BS.

.Klaudia.
by on Jul. 11, 2010 at 4:17 AM

I believe in evolution to a certain point, and pro climate change.

ILive4This
by on Jul. 11, 2010 at 4:24 AM

I am pro, pro.  I always thought it was b/c science is my area of study...science minded...and non-religious.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)