Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What happens if you have extra Pell grant money left over?

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2010 at 1:42 PM
  • 78 Replies

Do you get to keep it? Does the school? We're bottomed out broke and I'm taking classes next semester and I will have a LOT of money left over for the year. We could really use it to keep our house out of foreclosure. We've been struggling for a year since SO lost his job and we're getting to the point where everything is starting to get shut off :\

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” ~Mahatma Ghandi

by on Jul. 11, 2010 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StructuredChaos
by on Jul. 11, 2010 at 1:42 PM

You will recieve a check

briakiss
by on Jul. 11, 2010 at 1:43 PM

i believe that you do get to keep it. im not 100% though.

First_One_8_18
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Do you get a check after the whole school year is over, or the semester is over or do you get it right away?

veganmommy04
by on Jul. 11, 2010 at 1:44 PM

you get to keep it.  my husband recieved a scholarship/grant for the classes he took.  he was still eligible for a pell grant, and since the scholarship paid for everything but books, he was able to keep the rest.  the check comes in your name and you cash it

kaidensmommy09
by on Jul. 11, 2010 at 1:45 PM

You get to keep it

isleysmom

Typically it is broke down in to semesters or quarters. After your classes are payed for you will be given a check for the left over money.

Quoting First_One_8_18:

Do you get a check after the whole school year is over, or the semester is over or do you get it right away?

veganmommy04

here the check usually gets to you about 2-4 weeks after classes start

Quoting First_One_8_18:

smbcwr04

you usually end up with a check about half way through the semester for whatever money you didn't use that semester. at least thats how it worked for me last year.

StructuredChaos
by on Jul. 11, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Depends on your school, but normally you get it during the semester, about 3-4 weeks in.

Quoting First_One_8_18:

Grisj
by on Jul. 11, 2010 at 1:47 PM

You get a check a month after. If you start in August you will recieve the check in september probably the last days of the month, thats when i get mine.simple smile

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)