Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't want to screw it up, what should i do?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:11 AM
  • 10 Replies

SOOOOOO..... after almost 3 years DD is getting her own room (yet again, the first time didn't work and she ended up back in our bed)  we spent a lot of time and money getting her a nice princess room that she absolutely loves.... okay, so what do i do?? she is so excited about it and is playing in the bed. i don't want to make this a bad experience the first night... should i... lay down with her till she goes to sleep and enforce a sleep routine with out me in there tomorrow? or should i sit by the door until she goes to sleep and keep putting her back in her bed all night when she gets up???? or what can i do to let her continue to be excited about the bed and room but also get her accustomed to sleeping in her bed without me? help please!!!!

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jennymitchell
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:14 AM

I'd let her play around in there but put her back in her bed if she comes out of her room.  This is how I transitioned all of my kids from cribs to toddler beds.  I don't think you'd be helping her adjust if you go in there and lay with her.

hmommy07
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:14 AM

oh, and just to let you know HOW important this really is.... my dh and i have not had sex in months and i am neeeeding her to sleep in her own room, this cannot be screwed up again   :- / 

hmommy07
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:15 AM

what happens if she stays up till 2 or 3 am playing???

Quoting jennymitchell:

I'd let her play around in there but put her back in her bed if she comes out of her room.  This is how I transitioned all of my kids from cribs to toddler beds.  I don't think you'd be helping her adjust if you go in there and lay with her.

proudmomma1986
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:17 AM

With my son we sit in the door way the first few nights

ErikaM27
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:19 AM

Quoting hmommy07:

what happens if she stays up till 2 or 3 am playing???

Quoting jennymitchell:

Just be consistent. Explain to her it's not play time and that she has to go to bed.  My ds would do whatever it took not to go to bed but I would take him back every time.

Pippi1126
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:21 AM

Yea, I think you should let her sit in there for a little while by herself and see what happens. If she is playing and not going to bed, then maybe sit by the door til she falls asleep.  I have to do that sometimes with mine......good luck!!

youngmm
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:53 AM
What i did for my son was have him lay in bed..while i sat on the floor..read him books/talked to him/ waited him to fall asleep. And then i would leave..he once woke up and got up to look for me, and i took him back , laid him down and just sat there until he fell asleep. But i had already explained what was expected and that he couldnt sleep with me anymore, and that big boys sleep by themselves in their own bed. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomTo2Boys2526
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:58 AM

Well maybe instead of laying with her (you may get "stuck" doing that), if she cries then go in and comfort her..

Its hard adjusting but I would keep saying how proud you are of her sleeping "in her big girl room/bed"

MANILOVE
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Quoting jennymitchell:

That is when the sleep is soooooooooooo good, I just let him stay when he does that...
But I need to stop, he need to stay in room...

hmommy07
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:45 AM

ok so i told her that we need to sleep in the bg bed and mama isn't going to play if she comes out that i will jst put her back in bed. she screamed... threw a fit and i put her in the bed. she got out and i put her back about 12 times. now she's been in there curled up in her bed with her fav toy for 30 minutes. i hope this is going to work!!! :)  i sleep downstairs and she is upstairs so i guess i may have to stay up all night in order to hear her- i lost the base station to my baby monitor 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)