Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What if your car was on fire and children were in harnesses

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:51 AM
  • 102 Replies

My daughters are turning 5 & 6 in August. They are both in child seats with a 5 pt harnesses (they are 29 and 34 pounds..and could still RF...but it makes them car sick).

My cousin has 4 children (ages 7, 5, 3, and 2)...one is in a harness, one is in a booster, and the oldest 2 are in regular seat belts. The laws in AZ are very liberal so she is not in violation of anything.

She told me that she would never have too many kids in a harness because if her car caught fire, it would be too difficult to get children out of harnesses. She also said if she was unconscious, she would want her children to be able to get out of the car in an emergency.

What do you think about this? Do you have 2 or more children in harnesses?

I have 3 children in harnesses...I guess it would be difficult to get everyone out of the vehicle quickly but I still think it's safer for them to be in a harness...they are still too small (in size not age) for a booster, IMO...most boosters require a child to weigh 40 pounds. My girls are in the 3rd percentile for their age...so I think they will be harnessed for a while.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Je_Jette_Poo
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:56 AM

You'd want your 5 and 6 year old to rear face?

I think when my son is 6, he will not be in a 5 pt harness. That's just me though. But, my 3 year old also weighs more than your 6 year old... so maybe that's why. 

jessigarrett
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:01 AM

wow way to freak out a paranoid momma here!! i have 2  year old twins both obviously still in carseats with the 5 point harness

hopinforanother
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:03 AM

They can RF based on the specifications of their seats...so I gave them the option. I don't necessarily WANT them to RF. They tried it for a while but then they decided to  go back forward facing.

Quoting Je_Jette_Poo:

You'd want your 5 and 6 year old to rear face?

I think when my son is 6, he will not be in a 5 pt harness. That's just me though. But, my 3 year old also weighs more than your 6 year old... so maybe that's why. 

hopinforanother
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:04 AM

Quoting jessigarrett:

wow way to freak out a paranoid momma here!! i have 2  year old twins both obviously still in carseats with the 5 point harness

I'm sorry!

jeniemarie
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:09 AM
i have 1 in a booster, one in a 5 pt and one thats still in a rfing infant seat but i have thought about situations like this. I have a hunting knife in my glove box in case i need to cut them out and the 6 yo knows how to get both his younger siblings out of their carseats if needed. yes im parinoid too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dylansmommy2006
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:12 AM

Both of mine are in the 5pt harness.. ! If there were a fire, I would either get them out in time. or die trying!

jessigarrett
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:13 AM

Quoting hopinforanother:

Quoting jessigarrett:

I'm sorry!

ehh is ok good thing to think of i just havnt yet now im gonna!!! lol.........

we have this little thing that it will break a window, cut any seatbelt, and has a flashlight on it. i will be looking for that in the morning to put in my van now lol just in case!!

beeber
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:32 AM

my 7 year old child is in a regular seat belt.  she is a chubby wubby so fits nice in it.  my 4 year old is in a booster, she got out of her 5 pnt every time we were in the car and bcukled the big girl seat belt so a booster is safer for her...she always has the seat belt.  my SD is on a 5 pnt but does know how to unbuckle it so i feel safe they will be able to undo their belts for whatever reason. 

nemiller
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:53 AM

i have my son in a 5 point harness and he will stay in one until he outgrows the limits of his seat.  i don't know the actual statistics, but i would think an accident is probably more common than vehicle fires (in a properly maintained vehicle, that is), so i would rather keep my son safe and just plan for the instance where i'd need to get him out of his seat quickly.  as it is, i have a seatbelt cutter (we can't have knives in the car here).  it's basically just a wire that can cut through the seatbelt material, so i'd be able to at least cut the seatbelt and pull him or even the whole seat out quickly.

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:06 AM

I never thought of that. I am about to have three in harnesses now how will I ever sleep.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)