Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Want to go back to college - question

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:58 AM
  • 8 Replies

I want to get my AS in Baking and Pastry Arts, but for a number of reasons, I'm going to have to take it REALLY slowly. If you're paying for it yourself (meaning without grants or scholarships) can you take as many or few classes per semester as you want, or is there still a minimum? How does it work?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
crazymama2kids
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:59 AM
you can take how many you want
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CMcLaws
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:00 AM

So I could take as little as just one class a semester? It would take me, like 6 years, haha. But that may be what I have to do. 

Quoting crazymama2kids:

crazymama2kids
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:01 AM
yes but keep in mind you'd still have to finish that class in the required amount of time.

Quoting CMcLaws:

So I could take as little as just one class a semester? It would take me, like 6 years, haha. But that may be what I have to do. 

Quoting crazymama2kids:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CMcLaws
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:06 AM

Ah yes. They are usually finished by the end of the semester though, right?

Quoting crazymama2kids:

yes but keep in mind you'd still have to finish that class in the required amount of time.

Quoting CMcLaws:

Quoting crazymama2kids:

mom2ljh
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:15 AM

Its going to depend on the school.  Some schools have a maximum amount of time they allow you to take to finish a program.  Others only recognize courses taken within the last x number of years.  There will be a maximum number of credits you can take, without having to get permission for an overload.  Usually its 18.  As far as minimum, there won't be a minimum per se, but as I said, some schools do have regulations that say you must complete the program within so long.

CMcLaws
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:17 AM

Gotcha, thanks for your help. I'm bipolar and have a lot of problems dealing with just normal day to day stuff, but I REALLY want this, so I have to make sure to go at it slowly as to not overwhelm myself. There's 60 credit hours in the Baking and Pastry section, but then I have to have an additional 24 credit hours.  

Quoting mom2ljh:

Its going to depend on the school.  Some schools have a maximum amount of time they allow you to take to finish a program.  Others only recognize courses taken within the last x number of years.  There will be a maximum number of credits you can take, without having to get permission for an overload.  Usually its 18.  As far as minimum, there won't be a minimum per se, but as I said, some schools do have regulations that say you must complete the program within so long.

mom2ljh
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:26 AM

That's a lot of credits for an Associate's.  Do you have to take prerequisites or is it just a total of an 84 credit program?  I'm working on my transfer associate's now and it only requires 60 credits.  Then I'll need 60 more after I transfer to get my BA.  Good luck.  You won't regret going back to school, just do as you said and don't overwhelm yourself.  Be sure to talk to the disabilities coordinator about any special accommodations that may be able to be made to help you succeed.  (For some students at my school, they have such accommodations as not having to take timed tests and quizzes, etc.)  Just remember the school WANTS you to succeed and will do what they can to help you get where you want.

Quoting CMcLaws:

Gotcha, thanks for your help. I'm bipolar and have a lot of problems dealing with just normal day to day stuff, but I REALLY want this, so I have to make sure to go at it slowly as to not overwhelm myself. There's 60 credit hours in the Baking and Pastry section, but then I have to have an additional 24 credit hours.  

Quoting mom2ljh:

CMcLaws
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:34 PM

There are no prerequisites - the additional 24 credits are just general education. I'm going to take introductory to psychology. I think being bipolar, I'd really enjoy that one! I'm going to try to set up an appointment this week and get some more information. Thanks for the tip about the disabilities coordinator - that would help me a lot. Anxiety is one of my biggest problems, and I'm the most scared about freezing on a test because of precisely the times. Maybe they will be able to help me. 

Quoting mom2ljh:

That's a lot of credits for an Associate's.  Do you have to take prerequisites or is it just a total of an 84 credit program?  I'm working on my transfer associate's now and it only requires 60 credits.  Then I'll need 60 more after I transfer to get my BA.  Good luck.  You won't regret going back to school, just do as you said and don't overwhelm yourself.  Be sure to talk to the disabilities coordinator about any special accommodations that may be able to be made to help you succeed.  (For some students at my school, they have such accommodations as not having to take timed tests and quizzes, etc.)  Just remember the school WANTS you to succeed and will do what they can to help you get where you want.

Quoting CMcLaws:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)