Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My school board has gone crazy. *rant*

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:00 AM
  • 82 Replies

Our school district is not just thinking outside the box...the Superintendent has stated that they have decided to "burn the box."    I think he inhaled too much of the smoke.

The board voted in May to acquire iPod touches for every child in grades K-5, and a Mac Book for every child grades 6-12.  This is costing millions and millions of dollars - and our district is laying off teachers to come up with the funds.

Yesterday, I received an email that we will either be required to pay a non-refundable $70 insurance fee with a $200 deductible per child per year, or a refundable security deposit of the full value of the device ($850 for the Mac!)

We could afford to buy these items for our 4th grader and 9th grader ourselves, but we haven't because they are not responsible enough to take care of them.

We are also not allowed to provide them ourselves - we have to take the school-provided items because they have special monitoring and blocking features installed at the Apple factory and our district does not have an IT department to take care of the customization.

I'm furious. 

What are your thoughts?  Am I missing something?  I just cannot see WHY  a kindergartner needs an iPod touch!

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
courtneycra
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:03 AM
f*ck that i wouldnt do it! thats charging to go to school almost! my 5 year old has an mp3 player but id never give her an ipod
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grammarpolice
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:04 AM

WHAT? Where are you located?

JlynnDoyle
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:04 AM

Wow, I am totally with you.  That is the dumbest thing I have heard of for schools to do.  There will be tons of kids that age who are not responsible to take care of an item like that & parents who are forced to spend money they don't have. 

crazymama2kids
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:05 AM
wow, that's crazy! I would refuse and consider another district if possible
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lawmom623

I'm in NE Ohio.  as far as I know, our district is the only one in the area with this program.  They are hoping it will bring new families to the district. 

Quoting grammarpolice:

WHAT? Where are you located?

MedicMommyAnne

thats crazy

JenB1983

FUCK THAT.

What educational value does an IPod touch have?

mom2ljh
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:06 AM

Wow, I say hell no.  If the school wants to provide it, whatever, but being a public school, they can't require you pay anything for them.  That's kind of the point of public school.  What about kids whose parents CAN'T afford these things?

my4yahoos
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:06 AM

My girls had ipod shuffles in prek, but they were programmed with educational music and the songs they sang in class.  BUT they had gotten a donation from one lady for that soul purpose.

I have no idea why elementary kids need Ipod touches.

lawmom623
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:08 AM

I briefly considered it, but that would require either a move and selling the house in a very bad market or transporting the kids.  Either way, it would cost us more than the security deposits on these devices.  I think venting is my only option at this point since the deal with Apple has already been signed :(

Quoting crazymama2kids:

wow, that's crazy! I would refuse and consider another district if possible

Justice Weeps

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)