Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do you have a secret stash of cash.

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:51 AM
  • 98 Replies

I just found out my mom does and has since she was like 20.  SHe will put any extra money she gets in this account she has set up..a account my dad knows nothing about.

She told me about it today trying to talk me into getting one and putting my pell grant refunds in it. She has nearly 45K in there, 45K my dad knows nothing about.  :O

I think that is all sorts of dishonest, but then again, she told me in the same breath that that money being there has helped them out before, like when when were little we weren't always cushiony with our finaces at times, and when we needed to get the car fixed, instead of borrowing money from my mom's dad like dad had wanted, mom just used her stash to pay for it.

So do you have a secret stash? do you like me feel that is dishonest and coudl come back and bite her in the ass? I mean its been nearly 40 years since she opened it but everything comes out in the end...

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
art.diva
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Ugh...I wish I had enough money to have a secret account!  lol

RheaF
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Nope. I never would either. How would she feel if she found out your Dad had a secret stash? I have no need for a secret fund. We have savings that we share and that is enough.

mereinhart28
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:55 AM

I do have a secret stash, sort of. He knows I stash money, just not how much or where it is. I usually take $50 per pay check and stash it away. When emergency's pop up or we want to go somewhere or something like that, I just take from there. 

littleluvkitty
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:55 AM

i have five grand in a bank right now that hubby does not know about. i did not know about it either until about a month ago. my grandfather set up an account for me when i was a teen. he just now told me. i will tell hubby about it but he just got back from being shipped out for six months. so i guess when he wants something we can't afford i will tell him then. lol

jridgill
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:56 AM

My husband knows about my stashes. I've got 3 different ones!

klianemcb2
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:56 AM

I'm actually starting one this month that my husband will know nothing about. My goal is be able to afford weekend getaways that I can plan as "surprises" for my dh and I and our whole family. Even if I can put $20 a week it'll be great for next summer!

diane-b
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:57 AM

No ....But , it is kinda a smart idea...As far  as DH doing it.... is kinda a smart idea....

mama02040608
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:58 AM

I like the idea of a 'what if' account.  So many women are stuck if they leave their husbands or if the husband dies unexpectedly and she's not named on all of the accounts.  I see nothing wrong with having your own money at all. 

aiyess
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:59 AM

I don't have a secret stash.  That's just me.  My hubby puts away money that I don't exactly know the amount.  I know where it is, I just don't go into it and I know if we did need it it's there.

Hey if it works for her, that's her business.  She will have to tell her husband some day or (not to be morbid) but if she does die, he will have a nice monetary surprise.  LOL.  How does he not notice when they do their taxes that she has an account?  She must have to pay taxes on the interest.

excougarmama
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Sort of. I do but DH knows about it. He simply doesnt have access. He's BAAAD with money. If he could get to it he would spend it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)