Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can men and women be 'just friends'? *poll

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:58 AM
  • 35 Replies

Poll

Question: Can men and women be 'just friends'?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 82

View Results

I had a conversation with my sister this morning and we have completely different views on this.  Can men and women be 'just friends'? 

Do you think that a man can have no sexual thoughts about a woman that he is 'just friends'  with?  Do you think that the 'friendship' can easily cross the line?  Should the wife know the husband's female friends just to make sure that everything is on the up and up?

Your thoughts?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Yes. I have male friends and SO has female friends. You CAN know people without thinking about sex, if not, you need therapy.

RaynesMommy07
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:00 AM
My bff is a guy, we've been strictly bff's since 6th grade! We've never so much as held hands! I was there for his first childs birth...so yes they can be just friends (=
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:01 AM

It depends on the circumstance.  We, as a married couple, are friends with both men and women, but with other married couples.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

wiener
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:01 AM

sure they can, I have tons of male friends that I have never and never will think about sexually. EEEWWW. 

art.diva
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:06 AM

No.  Every guy that I thought was just my "friend" ended up coming on to me at one point or another.  They just used the guise of friendship to get me close and comfortable with them.

JULIANS_MOM2010
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:06 AM
YES!! And who ever said no its because they dont trust themselves..my best friend is a guy and we've been thru the most together we even did a road trip and slept in the back seat together never even touched one another wrong..kissed or anything so to those who said no you need to re think about you and the oppsite sexs relationship is it friendship or lust?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
the_kimmers
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:10 AM

I think men and women can be "just friends"...especially if one is homosexual...lol...that really helps!

I think that if a straight man and straight woman are "just friends", the guy will probably at least fantasize about the woman, to be honest, but it doesn't have to go further than that...men aren't animals...seriously, they really aren't!

-xoxo-
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:11 AM

I voted no. Every man that has ever acted like he wanted to be my friend ended up saying something inappropriate later on down the line. Even a few of my dh's "friends" have made passes at me. 

♥ For tomorrow may rain so, I'll follow the sun ♥

jillbailey26
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Quoting JULIANS_MOM2010:

YES!! And who ever said no its because they dont trust themselves..my best friend is a guy and we've been thru the most together we even did a road trip and slept in the back seat together never even touched one another wrong..kissed or anything so to those who said no you need to re think about you and the oppsite sexs relationship is it friendship or lust?

How is it that they don't trust themselves?  We are not friends with single men/women because we feel it's inappropriate for our marriage.  It doesn't have anything to do with not trusting ourselves or each other.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

AnjLamson
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:13 AM

I have a few male friends and we are very close. I think of these guys like family. I think that may be the difference, though: these guys are family friends.

I don't have any male friends who don't also know DH.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)