Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

11 year olds and hygeine!

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:59 AM
  • 6 Replies

My brother has been here since Saturday and has finally gave into my nagging to get a shower. He hasn't brushed his teeth either, he said he left his toothbrush at our moms (and he had been at his dads for 4 days before coming here! No clue if he brushed there!)
I got out a pink toddler toothbrush I had in the closet for when I had to replace DD"s brush and he had to use that, lol!!!!
Why don't they want to shower at this age? I noticed my other 11 year old brother is the same and my cousin started it at this age and is 14 now and still drags his butt to get showered!
What can I do? He will be here for the next couple days too, is there a "talk" I should give about bathing? Our mom is not one to "parent". She was the same way with my sister and I, we just did what we wanted, no guidance at all (Thankfully we made good choices)

I am not Palestinian (although I married into the culture). I am human. I
believe in human rights for everyone. Some people may think that this
is not "our" fight, but it is to me, because no matter their religion or cultural background, they are our brothers and sisters in humanity.  I will protest right along side everyone in Palestine. I may not be able to change the world, but I can
die trying.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
fairy_fan
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:24 AM

My OS was like that, but my DD (11 now) takes 2-3 showers per day.  My SD was never a problem at 11 to get her to take a bath.  I have to force my 7yo son into the bath.   

stefvan
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:26 AM

It's a phase.  My dsd went throught it around that age.  She'd go in and turn on the water but not get in.  Like we didn't notice her hair was dry.

-xoxo-
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:26 AM

I've noticed that a lot of pre-teens go through this stage, I have no clue why though. 

luv2wahm
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:27 AM

I have an 11 year old daughter...she's the complete opposite about showering..she takes 2-3 a day. We don't have to fight her to brush her teeth she is pretty good about that.

I would just explain to him, as a person gets older it is important to keep the body clean...

Good luck with this..

MPWifeJessicia
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:29 AM

I think it may just be a boy thing. My son is 7 and he is the same way; I mean...I make him, but he would do it if I allowed it. I probably would talk to your brother just about hygiene and stuff in general especially if your mom doesn't do stuff like that. Good luck, Isra!

MaeHamMomma
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:29 AM

I am not sure how I would handle this. I guess I would tell him he needed to bathe at least every other day and brush at least twice a day. Try to explain to him that neglecting his dental hygiene could result in loosing teeth later in life. Also, failing to bathe could cause him to smell bad and other children may tease him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)