Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How old is too old?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:26 AM
  • 11 Replies

How old is too old for a child/children to sleep in bed with their parents?  I am not talking about toddlers or babies.  I am talking about at what age should a child stop sleeping with both parents or sneaking in the bed to want to sleep with their parents?  My niece was surprised that my daughter at 13 was still sleeping in our bed sometimes.  She sleeps with her head at my feet.  And sometimes she sleeps with me when her dad is working nights because I get lonely.  I was sleeping in my mom's bed next to her when I Was a teenager.  We haven't stopped her from sleeping with us but this discussion prompted me to wonder if it was appropriate.  She has her own room and knows all about privacy and keeping the door closed.  Thoughts??

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chelleybeans
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:28 AM

I dunno. At that age I would sleep with both my parents, but I would with my  mom if my dad was gone. Shoot, I am 23 now and will still share a bed with my mom if my dad is gone or we are on vacation (girls trips WOO). But sleeping w/ my dad in the bed I was probably like 5, if even that old.

brittney_mar25
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:29 AM

i wouldnt but thats me i just wouldnt be comfortable with it

n03z07l08
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:30 AM

My parents were divorced, I stopped sleeping in my dads bed at like 7, I didnt want to but he made me. I slept in my moms bed off and on until I was like 12, then at 14 I started having night terrors sao I shared a room with her until like 16.

SamNStefanMommy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:31 AM
IMO there is no set in stone age. I slept in my moms bed until the day I moved out. and then I would crawl in with her when Id go home to visit. I think its more up to each individual kid. When its uncomfortable for either the parent or child it needs to stop. Hell my 7yo DS still wants to shower with me occassionally. Not all the time but it does happen. He is old ebuf that he knows about body differences and privacy and all that but neithr of us is ucomfortable yet so it still happens.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ich-RayItch-Bay
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:32 AM

NEVER!  Now while my children reach the age that it would be 3 adults in the bed rather than 2... my dh may have to conk out on the couch.  My children will never be too old/big however to cuddle up with their mama and sleep.  EVER!  A child needs that comfort.  I still climb in bed with my mama at 33 when I visit.  Not really to sleep, but it is comforting.

Kays_Mama06
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:33 AM

I slept with my grandmother for MANY years.. Mostly due to the traumatic experience of losing my mother at the age of 3.5. She would fall asleep with me and then move beds once I was sound asleep. Too bad I'd follow her. lol. But by 12-13 I was sleeping in my own bed and she was sleeping in the room next to mine (guest room). Now whenever she's here (she lives in PR) I will lay in her bed with her and take naps.. Just because I love her. = )

With traumatic experiences, its totally understandable.. But I think that a child should be sleeping in their own bed by the time they're starting school.

Jadegirl1819
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Mine are 5 and 7 and haven't slept in the bed with both parents since they were 2ish.  They occasionally sleep in the bed when 1 parent is gone but that is rare.

art.diva
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:34 AM

I guess it just depends on the family.  I knew a girl in middle school who slept in her parents' bed every night.

littleluvkitty
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:36 AM

we have never allowed are kids to sleep in our bed. when they are sick or scared i camp out in there room. its just not our thing.

gaugesmomma1209
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:37 AM

My kid will not sleep with us when he is a teen. As a child with nightmares, yes I completely understand. come 10 maybe 11, he will need to buck up, and sleep in his own bed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)