Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

signs of autism?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:48 AM
  • 16 Replies
Dh and I are worried about ds....he's very fun loving, and intelligent, but something just seems off. For 17 years, my parents hid the fact that my little brother had aspergers. Even from me, although I had suspected it. I just don't know the signs and was wondering if some of you mama's with autistic children could tell me what you noticed in your children to make you ask your doctor. I don't really know how to explain what's going on....but the fact that a form of it is within my family does make me wonder if that's what is going on. Tia!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jdscirto
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Bump for you. 

carlinaiden
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:51 AM

bump!!!

art.diva
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Social skills

• Fails to respond to his or her name
  • Has poor eye contact
  • Appears not to hear you at times
  • Resists cuddling and holding
  • Appears unaware of others' feelings
  • Seems to prefer playing alone — retreats into his or her "own world"

Language

• Starts talking later than age 2, and has other developmental delays by 30 months
  • Loses previously acquired ability to say words or sentences
  • Doesn't make eye contact when making requests
  • Speaks with an abnormal tone or rhythm — may use a singsong voice or robot-like speech
  • Can't start a conversation or keep one going
  • May repeat words or phrases verbatim, but doesn't understand how to use them

Behavior

• Performs repetitive movements, such as rocking, spinning or hand-flapping
  • Develops specific routines or rituals
  • Becomes disturbed at the slightest change in routines or rituals
  • Moves constantly
  • May be fascinated by parts of an object, such as the spinning wheels of a toy car
  • May be unusually sensitive to light, sound and touch and yet oblivious to pain

AryssasMommy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:53 AM

I am worried about the same thing with my daughter. Everyone thinks I am crazy because she is almost 18 months which is too early to diagnose...I just feel like something is "off" with her. My nephew was just diagnosed with Aspergers (at age 8). 

carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Google it

chelleybeans
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:56 AM

My son's doctors wanted him evaluated for teh first time at 18 months, so I don't think that is too young to be diagnosed. At 24 months again they insisted he get checked (since we declined the first time). We filled out a paper quiz thingy (the mchat I believe and you can find it at autismspeaks.org) and we just received a call from EI.......................... so dunno. I can let you know what we find out though. :D Early intervention and diagnosis is key they say so keep on your doctors about it! (that's what everyone tells me)

Quoting AryssasMommy:

I am worried about the same thing with my daughter. Everyone thinks I am crazy because she is almost 18 months which is too early to diagnose...I just feel like something is "off" with her. My nephew was just diagnosed with Aspergers (at age 8). 

chelleybeans
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:56 AM

To the OP, go to autismspeaks.org. A friend recommended that site to me and I found a lot of helpful info. We are currently going through my son being evaluated and it is highly suspected in him atm.

gfamilyof4
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:01 PM
He is 3, just started talking. He spaces out a lot, the neighbors water system runs thru our house and the rushing sound scares him, as do trains and planes. I have tried taking him to play groups, but he often ends up playing alone. Mil bought him a hotwheels track and will watch the cars pass through for an hour or more without moving. He sometimes seems lost... I don't know if I'm just thinking too much into it, or if these are actual signs. It doesn't scare me, he will be my same little boy, but if its something I should ask his doctor about, I want to get on it so I can know how to help him...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gfamilyof4
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:25 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mitch576
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:28 PM

children are being diagnosed as early as 12 months old.

Quoting chelleybeans:

My son's doctors wanted him evaluated for teh first time at 18 months, so I don't think that is too young to be diagnosed. At 24 months again they insisted he get checked (since we declined the first time). We filled out a paper quiz thingy (the mchat I believe and you can find it at autismspeaks.org) and we just received a call from EI.......................... so dunno. I can let you know what we find out though. :D Early intervention and diagnosis is key they say so keep on your doctors about it! (that's what everyone tells me)

Quoting AryssasMommy:

ADMIN FOR AUTISM, ASPERGER'S, PDD AWARENESS.

OWNER OF "THE ORIGINAL 30 AND BEYOND GROUP"   ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTIONS
come check out "the cafe" at cafe mom!!!! 

Join us at The Cafe - - Cafe Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)