Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 year old sneaking out! Help!

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:52 AM
  • 52 Replies
For the past week my 3 year old has been getting up at all hours of the night and getting into everything! Like one night he got up and got into the diaper cream that was in my purse. Last night he drew on our hallway walls with a red and blue sharpie he found on the kitchen drawer. Our house is baby proofed so there's nothing dangerous he can get into. But I don't want that chance, and the kid is quiet! So my question is, should it be okay to put a baby gate up on his door or at the end of the hallway? I'm open for more ideas, I've talked to him but it didn't help obviously.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MNLETLE
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:53 AM
If he's getting up and out of his room in the middle of the night and not waking you I think there is no question to if he needs a gate. Yes, he needs one NOW.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kemmerer411
Yea. Def. That's scary!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mereinhart28

I would probably try to put one up at his door. Could he climb over it? I know it wouldn't work for my 3 year old, he climbs over and on everything. 

ForeverInLove
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:54 AM
He'll climb over a bab gate. What about putting one of those knob covers on the inside of his room? Or consider getting a sensor that detects movement and sounds an alarm. I'd say one of those things for windows that sounds when separated, but they are loud and may firghten him more than teach him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
becca1980
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:54 AM

As long as he does not try to climb over it and hurt himself I think that a baby gate is a good idea.

CjEmmemommy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Yes if you think that he won't climb it.. You can also shut his door with a knob cover on the inside and use a baby monitor..

That is what I did with my son while we lived in our condo- He had no problem with it and I would wake up when I heard him playing in his room.. It wasn't long before that phase passed and I now leave his door open..

erica

a wedding website

Radarma
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Baby gate, today.

auntietotty
by Elizabeth on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:56 AM

If a 3 yr old is going to be sneaky, I can see him crawling over a baby gate too.

I dont know where to get them, but there are 'door alarms' you can buy and put on his bedroom door. That way if he left his room, you'd know.

Rhyne
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:57 AM
I try not to close his door, our foundation has moved which causes his door to stick really bad. He tries to climb over the gates but he hasn't reached the top yet.

Quoting ForeverInLove:

He'll climb over a bab gate. What about putting one of those knob covers on the inside of his room? Or consider getting a sensor that detects movement and sounds an alarm. I'd say one of those things for windows that sounds when separated, but they are loud and may firghten him more than teach him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunshine172
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:57 AM

i have IBS so I have random bouts of .... nature calls.. for sometimes even hours on the toilet..

my dd learnt how to get outside, andwhen people are bringing her back yelling for me, it looks really bad ....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)