Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did your 1 year old do this?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:10 PM
  • 16 Replies

Poll

Question: Was your child able to drink from their bottle or sippy cup while sitting up without help?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 47

View Results

My daughter is 1 on th 15th and she only drinks her bottles laying down. I have never given her a bottle in her bed and she has done this since she first started holding the bottle on her own. She will lay herself down flat on her back and drink it. If I sit her up and give it to her she doesnt understand that she has to hold the bottle up in the air to get the drink... so she just sucks in air and then gets frustrated and throws the bottle down. Sooo....

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christina0607
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Of course. but, I never would have allowed them to drink flat on their backs, so they never got into that habit.

art.diva
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Yes.  Sometimes she walks around the room while drinking her bottle..lol.  And my oldest was only drinking out of sippy cups by herself by the time she was one, and would do it in any position.

moonorchid84
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:16 PM

When DD was six months old, I started laying her on her bobby pillow while she had her bottle. By the time she was a year, she was drinking out of nuby's and was mostly drinking it in her high chair. I think eventually she'll get that she can drink while sitting up. Maybe encourage her to lean on a pillow and go from there. 

mistie900
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Same here they never actually laid all the way down with a bottle so they learned to tip it up. Also when we started using sippy cups I did not allow them to even lay partially down. They had to sit up completely if they wanted to use it.

Quoting christina0607:

Of course. but, I never would have allowed them to drink flat on their backs, so they never got into that habit.

ladyraven16
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Yes both my sons could sit up in my lap and hold their own bottles up around 9 months. They were both on sippy cups by a year old and they had to be at the table or in a carseat or stroller to have a sippy cup.

omgamomie
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:17 PM

My dd did this too.

Quoting art.diva:

Yes.  Sometimes she walks around the room while drinking her bottle..lol.  And my oldest was only drinking out of sippy cups by herself by the time she was one, and would do it in any position.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

ErikaM27
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:19 PM

help her. Tilt the bottle so she won't suck in air.

Rhyne
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:21 PM
I was always told they could get eat infections from bring on his back drinking. So he always sat up
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rhyne
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:21 PM
Oops EAR not eat

Quoting Rhyne:

I was always told they could get eat infections from bring on his back drinking. So he always sat up

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaggiesMom208
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Mine did.  But, just because they can doesn't mean that they want to.  And like so many people, they will do things the way they want to if they can!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)