Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have $$ my husband cannot touch

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:27 PM
  • 12 Replies

Yeppers. And he knows about it. Right now there isn't much in it, but I'm going to transfer the baby money we saved over to it soon, so it doesn't get locked LOL.

Its in my maiden name, and, should I die, the money goes to our son. I did it with advice from my mom. Do i think we're ever going to be divorced? Nope. I love him and he loves me, and I really think our marriage is going to be like my grandparents, and he'll be my crotchity old man, and I'll be his housewife =) We'll spend our Saturdays going junkin' and our Sundays robbing Sam's Club of their free samples...

But, god forbid, something happens, and I'm left in the dust, I need to have something to get me to a safe place and to feed my children with. Sure, my parents will wire me money if necessary, but that takes time also, and I need to have a little bit on hand. My father did that to my mom, and she had nothing. She had to stay in his house until my grandparents could pick us 3 up and get us out of there. She had to stay and watch him move his girlfriend into her house. And it was the most painful thing ever, she said.

I don't want that to happen. And sure, technically I'm entitled to half of the money in our joint accounts. But if I don't have time to transfer money, what good does it do me? I'm screwed...

So yeap. I have a seperate account. My husband knows ALL about it, and is ok with me putting money in there =)

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
godsgirl26
by โ™ฅChar2theMaineโ™ฅ on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:29 PM

whatever works for u i guess..

Kays_Mama06
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:30 PM

I think most women should consider having an account for themselves because you never know what can happen.

Just because there's seperate accounts doesn't mean it has to be a secret.

merlynn
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:31 PM

I have my own account that my DH can't get to either. My mom always said that I should prepare for anything because you just don't know how life will turn out. I love my husband dearly and couldn't imagine a life w/o him, but I do have two children to think of. He does know I have the account, and knows he can't get to it, but he supports it completely.

Mommy2One881
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:34 PM

I have two accounts my husband does not have access to. He knows about them, but does not care. As he says he's not with me for my money.

JMVITT
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:34 PM

I have my own account too but not for those reasons.  I married a good guy and if we were to ever split he would take care of his kids.  So I don't worry about those things.

I am sorry your mom had to go through and I see why you feel the need to.  I wish you and your husband a long and happy marriage!

mrsjones2207
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:35 PM

cool....great that you are doing that

mommy.since.09
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:35 PM

yep!

Its also not saying you don't have faith in your relationship. We have a will which determines where our children would go, should we die. We're not EXPECTING to die before our children are grown, but who knows?

Back up plans are always GOOD

Quoting Kays_Mama06:

I think most women should consider having an account for themselves because you never know what can happen.

Just because there's seperate accounts doesn't mean it has to be a secret.

gulfcoastmom4
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Ok?? Good for you.

gaugesmomma1209
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Good for you!

Remarkable_Mama
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:39 PM

I have one too....I will encourage my girls to do the same! ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)