Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Damn kids! I need your opinion!

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:51 PM
  • 41 Replies

Poll

Question: What punishment would you do?

Options:

buy a patch, lose pool for a week

Make them buy a new pool

Sell the kids, buy a hot tub

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 70

View Results

Jk, but not at the same time. I need some opinions here. Yesterday my children plotted and popped the pool. The 4 year old stabbed it with a stick, after having his 6 yr old brother egg him on to do it. This happens A LOT. We have been having major issues with the kids (mainly the 6 year old) purposely breaking toys. Typically whatever is broken is replaced, by the person who broke it's piggy bank money/chores.

Now here is where I need your opinion. Me and SO seem to have a difference in opinions on what to do.   Option A: We could have the boys split the cost of a patch for the pool, and they lose the pool for a week. (my plan)  Option B: The kids need to split the cost of an entire new pool. (SO's plan)

My reasoning. Taking it for a week would be good punishment. They play almost daily in it. A week without their pool will devestate them! Other then that I'm just a softie and I'm so tired of taking all there piggy bank money that they save to buy toys! (I know, my reason SUCKS!)

SO's reasoning.  He's entirely sick of things being broken and this was the last straw for him. He could fix it easily, but why be so easy on them?  He says they need to learn that things aren't cheap, and if they break something expensive, they have to suffer the consequences of replacing it.

Ok, so who do you agree with? What would you do?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sarahb21
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Wow, I just read through that again and realize how bad my grammar and all that jazz was. I guess that's what happens when all you hear in the other room is fighting and screaming. lol

klynn80
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Sell the kids and buy a hot tub :)

Make the kids pay for a new pool out of their own pockets, you tend to respect things more and treat them better if you don't get them for free, in my experience anyway.

Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:53 PM

I agree with you.  I don't think that money punishment is really appropriate for a 4 and 6 year old, JMO =0)

happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:54 PM

wow i would be really mean.

they would have to pay me back for the pool they already broke. 

and they would not have a pool for the rest of the summer.

Sarahb21
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:56 PM

We have made them use there money for things in the past. But it was all smaller things. A $10 buzz lightyear toy, a $10 t-ball set. Things like that. This pool was $50!! I know right now SS (6) has almost $30. And DS(4) has about 10.

Quoting Lunarprancer:

I agree with you.  I don't think that money punishment is really appropriate for a 4 and 6 year old, JMO =0)

MarchMarie
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:57 PM

i voted to sell the kids, lol... but I honestly agree with your SO... they are doing it on purpose, so if they want a new pool, they are going to have to buy it themselves.

Mami2Jahzi

I would patch it up and lose the pool for a week. Just in case they're not done breaking stuff, lol. Yes it would be their money lost but why waste it if they are probably gonna do it again.

Sarahb21

Oooohh harsh! lol I could not live without that pool. It's my sanity saver! It's the only thing the boys will do without fighting! I think thats why my SO hasn't mentioned that option.

Quoting happymommy1105:

wow i would be really mean.

they would have to pay me back for the pool they already broke. 

and they would not have a pool for the rest of the summer.

sherry132
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:58 PM

I wouldn't let them swim anymore this summer. I wouldn't fix it or replace it. But that's me. Good luck Momma.

JvilleMom125
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:59 PM

people say im drastic.... but i would throw out whatever is being broken and not replace it... when they run out of toys they will learn....

or... you could say "since you dont like your toys and want to break them, lets clean out your room, take old toys and things you dont play with anymore and lets give it to kids that deserve it"

my kids learned real quick that i wasnt playing when they would break stuff on purpose or throw toys at me. It went right in the trash. Some more expensive toys only gotten sat outside till they went to bed and I put them away till they learned to listen... My boys are just like yours... They will be the death of me...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)