Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long does it take?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:18 PM
  • 7 Replies

My ex and I agreed on a custody arrangement out of court that allows his to take the twins every other weekend and every other wednesday. I was BFing the twins but when I tried pumping it just didn't work so we ended up giving them formula since I couldn't pump and they needed to eat while he had them this weekend. My question is how long after to stop nursing does the milk stop coming in and boobs stop hurting? Should I nurse when I have them and he can give them formula? I nursed them last night when I got them back and they did good so I am lost as to what to do?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
brittany89
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:20 PM
I would nurse when u have them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MarchMarie
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:21 PM

pump when they arent with you so you dont lose supply, bf them when you have them... and eventually your body should be used to pumping so you can lose the formula altogether and just send expressed milk

SassyPainter
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:21 PM

If you go a whole weekend without pumping, you will not only be very uncomfortable, but it may decrease your supply.  I would give pumping another chance.  Maybe try another pump or different attachments? 

julz0307
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:23 PM

i would nurse when u have them. i have two children and i tried with both ( they were both premees) and they wouldn't latch on so i stopped and it took a couple weeks to a month for my boobs to stop hurting and then they shrank.

2littlemonkeyz
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:24 PM

I didn't nurse all day yesterday and I was in alot of pain. I made him come back early so I could nurse. I couldn't get the hang of pumping maybe I am doing it wrong?

Quoting SassyPainter:

If you go a whole weekend without pumping, you will not only be very uncomfortable, but it may decrease your supply.  I would give pumping another chance.  Maybe try another pump or different attachments? 

JessicaG45342
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:28 PM

If you want to continue breastfeeding, then do it.  If you can't handle it, don't do it.  :)  If you're already bfing, it's worth it to try to work through this routine change.  Try not to pressure yourself either way. 

SassyPainter
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Sometimes it takes some practice.  You might also need a more powerful pump.  You can rent "hospital-grade" (high quality) ones at many hospitals.

Quoting 2littlemonkeyz:

I didn't nurse all day yesterday and I was in alot of pain. I made him come back early so I could nurse. I couldn't get the hang of pumping maybe I am doing it wrong?

Quoting SassyPainter:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)