Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are You LQQking for a Job or Hiring Right Now?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:29 PM
  • 10 Replies

I am in the looking for a job category.  If you are currently looking for a job in this economy, what are you doing to make yourself stand out?  What is your career objective?  What is something you think makes your resume unique?  I'm in Southern Nevada so if you aren't, don't worry we are not in competition!

Anyone that is doing hiring, what do you look for in a resume?  Does a letter of recommendation help?  What do you look for during an interview?  I am looking for an office manager position.  I have been in the same job for over 5 years and haven't interviewed for awhile and definitely have not sent out resumes.  I have been told people need to be very creative in this depressed market so I am looking for any advice I can get.

KalebsMomma.gif siggy picture by mstachyr

Do you live in Southern Nevada and want to meet mommy friends? Check us out!: http://www.cafemom.com/group/hendersonmommies

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ErikaM27
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:30 PM

I always go with employment agencies. BUMP!

JZB
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Suggestions I have is 10 The squeaky wheel gets the grease so call a few days after the interview call again a wk later, call until they tell you you got the job or the position has been filled.  It lets them know you are interested and WANT to work not because you have too and people like to hire people who are working.

Kalebs_Momma
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Quoting ErikaM27:

I always go with employment agencies. BUMP!

Yeah, but they usually only have temporary stuff.  I can try again, but that's the luck I've had with them in the past

Do you live in Southern Nevada and want to meet mommy friends? Check us out!: http://www.cafemom.com/group/hendersonmommies

ikesmommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Before the interview.....GRAND cover letter. Not too short or too long. Make it pop; don't use boring language. Put it and your resume on heavy paper, if you are mailing (which I suggest or better yet, drop it off yourself). Have two versions of your resume; one that you can fit on one page, points out all the main details; leave out job descriptions-it will have them wondering what you did at your last job, so they call you; this is the one you send them, hinting that you have a more extensive version available, along with your references, at their request. If you don't have a professional or decent email, create one; honeylips@yahoo is not getting called for her 'skills'. Make sure you have a thank you letter in advance and tweek it after your interview. Send it that evening or the next day by mail, not fax; if it is a techy type place, you can send via email. Look up the place and know lots of stuff about it when you arrive; know the name of your interviewer. Jot down questions before you arrive; not having any questions to ask makes you look not as interested as someone else. No money or benefit questions until you have been offered a position.

ikesmommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Quoting JZB:

Suggestions I have is 10 The squeaky wheel gets the grease so call a few days after the interview call again a wk later, call until they tell you you got the job or the position has been filled.  It lets them know you are interested and WANT to work not because you have too and people like to hire people who are working.

Sending a thank you letter is better; we hate constant calling.

Samanthamommy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:02 PM

I agree, ikesmommy.

I can handle someone calling me once. But after that, if you call several times it shows me you are needy, and you would be needy in the position. And we don't want that.

Quoting ikesmommy:

Quoting JZB:

Sending a thank you letter is better; we hate constant calling.

Tea4Tas
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:05 PM

1) make sure your resume stands out

2) use very very high quality paper -Hand them a copy at the interview.

3) send a follow up thank you note as SOON as you can-on that same high quality paper.

Needless to say, make sure it is all 100% correct grammar and spelling.

Personalize the thank you letter-,mention anything you really appreciated or liked about your interview.

Samanthamommy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:07 PM

I don't have a whole lot of recommendations for the resume. I pretty much look for who qualifies for the position we're hiring for. Not too many people do in my line of work.

However, for the interview, the biggest issue I've seen is people don't answer questions thoroughly. They try and give you yes or no answers- which does not tell us interviewers what we need. So, I recommend you talk. I would much rather have someone talk too much than too little.

And please, don't tell us you need this job just because it's a job. Employers know interviewee's need jobs, that's why they sent their resume in the first place. Tell me why you WANT the job.

Be yourself. Being nervous is totally fine, and normal- almost everyone is. But also, be yourself and show us some personality.

Good luck!

Kalebs_Momma
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Quoting ikesmommy:

Before the interview.....GRAND cover letter. Not too short or too long. Make it pop; don't use boring language. Put it and your resume on heavy paper, if you are mailing (which I suggest or better yet, drop it off yourself). Have two versions of your resume; one that you can fit on one page, points out all the main details; leave out job descriptions-it will have them wondering what you did at your last job, so they call you; this is the one you send them, hinting that you have a more extensive version available, along with your references, at their request. If you don't have a professional or decent email, create one; honeylips@yahoo is not getting called for her 'skills'. Make sure you have a thank you letter in advance and tweek it after your interview. Send it that evening or the next day by mail, not fax; if it is a techy type place, you can send via email. Look up the place and know lots of stuff about it when you arrive; know the name of your interviewer. Jot down questions before you arrive; not having any questions to ask makes you look not as interested as someone else. No money or benefit questions until you have been offered a position.

Thank you!  Some awesome advice :)

Kalebs_Momma
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Quoting Samanthamommy:

I don't have a whole lot of recommendations for the resume. I pretty much look for who qualifies for the position we're hiring for. Not too many people do in my line of work.

However, for the interview, the biggest issue I've seen is people don't answer questions thoroughly. They try and give you yes or no answers- which does not tell us interviewers what we need. So, I recommend you talk. I would much rather have someone talk too much than too little.

And please, don't tell us you need this job just because it's a job. Employers know interviewee's need jobs, that's why they sent their resume in the first place. Tell me why you WANT the job.

Be yourself. Being nervous is totally fine, and normal- almost everyone is. But also, be yourself and show us some personality.

Good luck!

I think it is hard to talk when you are nervous and that is probably the problem!  I try to research companies and find something I like about them so I have a reason to want the job, but sometimes you can't find them online if they are small.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)