Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question about second baby

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:46 PM
  • 8 Replies
I'm due sept 6th with our second (a girl) and we have a 26 month old son. My husband is military and were on the waiting list to move to a 3 bedroon but it looks like we won't get in one until after the new year, but I'm not sure we will even take the new house if it really takes that long bc my husband is getting out and I don't want to move into a 3 bedroom and then turn around a few months later and move again .. So anyways I plan on having the new baby in our room for the first few weeks like I did with our son and then transition her into a crib in her room , which I guess will be my sons room .. I don't mind the idea of them sharing for a few months but I'm worried about how my son will be , I feel like he will think the new baby is stealing his room so to speak ..so I just wanna know if anyone had a toddler and newborn share a room , if so was it easy ? Is there anything I should do to better prepare him ? I'm so scared he's gonna be jealous already and now this ! TIA for your answers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lovingwifey
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:49 PM

My son was 15 months old  when the twins were born, 18 months when they came home,  all three kids shared a room.  (I was not going to sleep ds and have the kids upstairs) and we do not let the kids in our room.  so  they had two cribs and a toddler bed and still had half the room.   there was no jealousy or anything.  It was fine.  

mdraper
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:53 PM
Really ? I hope its that easy! Did you have the cribs set up in his room before they came home , so he got used to it first or did you wait ?

Quoting lovingwifey:

My son was 15 months old  when the twins were born, 18 months when they came home,  all three kids shared a room.  (I was not going to sleep ds and have the kids upstairs) and we do not let the kids in our room.  so  they had two cribs and a toddler bed and still had half the room.   there was no jealousy or anything.  It was fine.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovingwifey
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:57 PM

no, because we did not have anything. lol.  I had to order the cribs offline and they took four months!  Do not order big furniture from affees. lol.  So they got to our house two weeks before the twins came home.  I did not plan on haveing the twins 11 weeks early.  I was on bedrest, thats why we did not go and buy them.  he was fine with it, but he was only 18 months old and really did not understand. He was pissed off when we brought Trinity home after Tristan. lol.  he was okay with one but not two babies. lol.  I would set the crib up and see what he does.  

Quoting mdraper:

Really ? I hope its that easy! Did you have the cribs set up in his room before they came home , so he got used to it first or did you wait ?

Quoting lovingwifey:

dani-doll
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Can you keep the baby in the crib in your room? This way your DS won't have to worry about crying baby in the middle of the night?

mdraper
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:19 PM
Well we have a pack n play for her that's gonna be in our room , but I was planning on only having her in there with us for a month or two bc I let my son sleep with me for about 5 months and had a really hard time getting him to be comfortable in his own room without me , so I'm trying to avoid that !

Quoting dani-doll:

Can you keep the baby in the crib in your room? This way your DS won't have to worry about crying baby in the middle of the night?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mewebb82
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Do you have a name picked out yet? We started talking about my daughter, Aislee, to my son before she was born. We used her name when we were shopping for baby stuff, or when we were setting up the bedroom. We had him "help" pick out the decor and toys (we used his suggestions to make him feel like he had a part and then steered him towards what we were going to buy anyways.) Then, when Aislee was born, she slept in our room in a co-sleeper, while her crib stayed in our son's room for the first few months. That way he got used to it being there from the beginning. There were no problems when she finally made the move, because he was so used to the idea after 6 months of talking about it. We also ended up with a funny birth story. When we were getting ready to go to the hospital, he went and got his piggy bank, because he wanted to help "pay for Aislee to come home." We helped him pick out a stuffed animal to bring to her at the hospital instead.

anikahaynes1
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:30 PM

my 2 dd's share a room, I also wanted the baby to stay in our room for a month or 2, but my oldest when my youngest was only maybe 2 weeks old, woke me up one night, and said she wanted sissy to sleep in her room with her. So we made the switch that night. We also had had the crib set up in her room for MONTHS before she came so i think that also helped my oldest adjust to the new baby.

Things will work out just fine. we have very little sibling riverly, they play well together and when the baby was still itty bitty waking up at night my oldest never did wake up once. It has been working out great for us.

my husband is military too, when we move in 10 months i want a 3bddrm place on post, but i think the kids will still share a room, lol, they love it, and we'll have extra room for toys! YEAY!

mdraper
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:43 PM
Thanks so much , I'm glad none of you have had horror stories haha .. I talked to my husband and we will be gettin her crib set up this week and have austin help !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)