Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My dog is about to go to the pound!!! Sorry needed to vent kinda long Edit in blue

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:30 PM
  • 25 Replies

So my dog in January scraped his paw open, and licked it to clean it.  It started to get better but now its getting worse.  It been 7 months later and about $500 worth of medicines, first aid stuff, and vet bills later and it still isn't getting any better GGRRR.  I have tried everything from coning him, which he knows how to get his paw around the cone to lick it, taping it up with gauze and a sock, he knows to lick the tape til it gets soggy and pull it off.  I am at my wits end I don't know what to do anymore.  I have also tried the bitter apple stuff and the anti-lick strips, but he likes the taste of that stuff.  What dog like that stuff?  Being 8 months pregnant I don't have the energy to deal with this nor the patience.

he looks at you like help me I hurt, and I just don't feel bad anymore.  Because of this he has been hobbling around on 3 legs, and now today tripped over a cord and broke a lamp in my office.  It wouldn't be a big deal but the thing shattered and I have a second 1 that was used on the other side of the room but the room needs 2 lamps to be fully lit.  Sorry that this is long, and maybe doesn't completely make sense but I am on the verge of a breakdown and wanting to send him to the pound..

EDIT:  I'm not actually going to take him to the pound.  Just a little frustrated.  DH would be none to happy if I did that, and neither would I.  He is my cuddle buddy in the mornings.  I can take care of him there is no problem in that.  And yes I know a baby and a dog aren't the same but yet in some ways are.  I have had dogs my whole life,  and just a little frustrated at this point in time.  I am sorry if I have offended anyone that wasn't my purpose. 

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BlessedToBMommy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:32 PM

maybe you shouldnt hav a dig, and what are you going to do when your kid drives you crazy, put it up for adoptioin? Its your dog your responsibilityand when they are hurt things happen, grow up before that baby comes

MovalMomsADMIN
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:33 PM

i would be annoyed too... an animal and a baby are not the same thing at all so thats dumb. good luck

Chrystal_A
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Did you ask the vet what they suggest?

CoUrtNEyLeE
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:34 PM

put iodine on it, clean it 2 times a day with hydrogen peroxide . if it is staying open is their something inside of it?

mereinhart28
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Maybe the cone (I think you mean the lampshade thing that they put on the dogs) wasn't big enough. My dog had surgery on her foot and they put one on her, she never was able to lick it. She tried a few times but couldn't get to it. I'm sorry you are so stressed out. Call the vet back and see if they have any suggestions on what to do.

poshkat
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:35 PM

why didnt they stitch it up? maybe you should board him up for a little while at the vets?

harvgal04

No reason to be so mean to her. She is frustrated and has a reason to be.

OP. She's a dog and their instinct is to lick the wound clean regardless. I hope things get better and your more frustrated due to the pregnancy hormones. Good luck and ignore the rude people on here.

Quoting BlessedToBMommy:

maybe you shouldnt hav a dig, and what are you going to do when your kid drives you crazy, put it up for adoptioin? Its your dog your responsibilityand when they are hurt things happen, grow up before that baby comes

saucykitty22

A dog is a lot of responsibilty and Im sorry he is having problems but it kinda comes with the territorry. If u think u cant care for the dog anymore its ur responsibily to find him a loving home. Not just dump him at the pound. Im not being mean just honest. Plus ur super upset right now, maybe u will change ur mind when u calm down.

alexhuntercody
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:37 PM

he doesn't understand that he shouldn't bite and lick at the tape; just like a small child wouldnt' understand to leave bandages alone and not itch..if he has a vet and if you have been taking him to a vet then you need to call him/her back and find out a better solution to your situation. If you take a hurt dog to the pound all they will do is put him to sleep; most dont' have the time or the money to care for a dog who requires medical care.

DevinsMom94
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:37 PM

You sure it is scraped open? My dog has allergies and one of the signs is a split in the paw pad that they lick constantly and it never heals.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)