Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

homemade?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:49 PM
  • 11 Replies
So, I'm trying to save money and help the environment. I'd like to start making home made cleaning supplies. Does anyone have good recipes for home made:
laundry soap
disinfectant spray/wipes
deodorant
etc
I already make my own baby wipes and I plan in going no poo as soon as my shampoo and conditioner run out.
Thanks in advance, ladies!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Vinegar and water, it is an anti-fungal, I use it to wipe counters and such...

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:53 PM

I've not done it yet.  I have a book (I'll dig it out in a bit).  Here is a site with an easy deodorant recipe.

Deodorant

klynn80
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:53 PM

for disinfectant, I just use vinegar/water mixture (50/50) - works for everything in the bathroom, tile floors, counters, and carpet cleaning.  the other stuff I don't know, I use Aveeno products because my skin is very sensitive and everything but Aveeno irratates my eczema. 

l0v3myg1rl5
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:55 PM

use lemon juice to clean your dishwasher or garbage disposal. I use the juice in the dishwasher and the run the rest throught my garbage disposal once a month and it i cheaper than buying the cleaning stuff for both.

Wendy_June
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipe

• 1 bar of Fels Naptha soap, shaved
  • 4 cups of hot water to melt the soap
  • 3 gallons of hot water
  • 1 cup of borax
  • 2 cups of washing soda
  • 1 cup of baking soda
  • 1 large Rubbermaid container about 4-5 gallons size

Here’s what you do:
Grate the soap into a saucepan. You can use either a box grater or a food processor for this. I recommend you do not use whatever tool you use for grating soap with food. I was able to buy an extra food processor very inexpensively at a thrift store.

Add 4 cups of hot water to the pan.  Simmer on low until the soap melts completely into the water.

Add borax, washing soda and baking soda to the hot water. Simmer on low until it desolves with the soap. If the mixture is not melting, add more water if needed.

Add 3 gallons of hot water to the large container. Add the mixture to the hot water. Mix with a large spoon until it
completely dissolves.
Let cool overnight. You will notice that it turns into a thick gel. Use 1 cup of this homemade laundry detergent per load of laundry

Wendy_June
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:59 PM

hillbillyhousewife.com  This is where I got the laundry detergant recipe. I think they also have recipes for other cleaning things.

isra1986
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:00 PM

I suggest doing the "no poo" thing now, before it runs out.
It took me a while to get the "right" combo, my hair was straw or gummy. I used the shampoo and conditioner to "reset" my hair when I messed up!

I am not Palestinian (although I married into the culture). I am human. I
believe in human rights for everyone. Some people may think that this
is not "our" fight, but it is to me, because no matter their religion or cultural background, they are our brothers and sisters in humanity.  I will protest right along side everyone in Palestine. I may not be able to change the world, but I can
die trying.

Mommavieve
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:02 PM
Dies the laundry detergent recipe work well and can you add scent?

Quoting Wendy_June:

hillbillyhousewife.com  This is where I got the laundry detergant recipe. I think they also have recipes for other cleaning things.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommavieve
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:03 PM
That's a good idea.

Quoting isra1986:

I suggest doing the "no poo" thing now, before it runs out.
It took me a while to get the "right" combo, my hair was straw or gummy. I used the shampoo and conditioner to "reset" my hair when I messed up!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommavieve
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:35 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)