Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No birthday party invitations at school?!

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:02 PM
  • 14 Replies

I was just looking over the school handbook online and the district no longer allows children to hand out birthday party invitations at school, and naturally no class list can be provided.  I went to school in this district K-12 and in elementary school you could do it as long as you had one for each child in the class.  The district we just left allowed it so it never crossed my mind that some didn't.  I guess I'll have to do some serious digging and prodding on my second grader a couple of months before his birthday so he can have his school friends come.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MuddinFLMama
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Wow that's crazy! 

bridget2121
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:04 PM

yah i work for a school district.. some of them do and some dont' it's soo annoying!! I'm sorry you have to do this.. maybe you fcould have your child get phone numbers of his friends during recess...??

ZelisMommy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:05 PM

that would work perfect for me.. (when DD starts school)

that way I could blame it on the school & not have to invite her school mates! LOL... DD's first b-day party had over 50 kids & they were all just close relatives! Cant imagine having to add 30 more kids from her class

bluesky51201
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:08 PM

That's probably what I'm going to have to do unless the parents in his class are active and I can speak to them.  I hate phone invites, paper is so much better. But then it seems pointless to call and get an address to send an invitation you've already told them about.  i don't see the big deal, if there's one for every child (like they had to do in the past) it takes 30 seconds to hand them out.

Quoting bridget2121:

yah i work for a school district.. some of them do and some dont' it's soo annoying!! I'm sorry you have to do this.. maybe you fcould have your child get phone numbers of his friends during recess...??

ganfield_c
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:09 PM

we arent allowed to either unless we envite the whole class!! so we have to figure out the kids addresses on our own cause we dont have a directory either!

bridget2121
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Quoting bluesky51201:

That's probably what I'm going to have to do unless the parents in his class are active and I can speak to them.  I hate phone invites, paper is so much better. But then it seems pointless to call and get an address to send an invitation you've already told them about.  i don't see the big deal, if there's one for every child (like they had to do in the past) it takes 30 seconds to hand them out.

Quoting bridget2121:

yah i dont see a problem with it at all if your inviting the whole class.. its silly!!  Good luck to you!!

82ndairbornewif
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:22 PM
Ours too, but everyone hands them out at pickup time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dani-doll
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:23 PM

My DD had a serious issue with a girl in her class last year. To the point where i had to go to the school and talk to the teacher because she was trying to make DD and this girl be friends and i didn't see it to me neccesary. When it came time for DD's b-day, she told me that she would rather not even have a party if she had to invite the other girl. So i asked the teacher if I could just come in, an send the invites to the other kids in their backpacks and she told me no. So i had to do some digging to find the addresses out for the kids that she wanted to invite. I think that as long as you are not handing them out in front of the kids that are not invited, then there is nothing wrong with sending them in to the school.

cypris420
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Quoting bluesky51201:

Quoting bridget2121:

I don't think it's pointless, personally.  My girls LOVE getting mail!  Especially bday party invitations.  It also give the parents a chance to keep that day clear sooner so they can come. 

eema.gray
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Actually, this makes sense to me.  I'm sorry, but I don't want to host a party for my child's entire class.  It'll be more fun for my children and their friends if they can just invite the people they really want to invite and no more than that.  If it takes prodding and detective work on my part to accomplish that, fine, I'll do it.  Much better than the alternatives, from my point of view.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)