Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is the big deal with weddings????

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:18 PM
  • 74 Replies

I have never understood why some people are so set on having a "wedding" after they already have kids.....

Don't get me wrong....if you have the money to have a nice, huge wedding and take care of your family all at the same time, then go for it....but for a lot of people, that is not the case.

So let me rephrase....I don't understand why some people that already have kids are so set on having a "wedding" when money is already tight. The actual ceremony is not the important thing...it is the marriage that follows.

Some people go way into debt to do this.....I just don't understand it

It does not cost that much to go down to the court house and get hitched.....thats what I did (and no, we did not have any children at the time). Even then I did not see what the big deal with weddings was...I have never been set on having one.....I can understand wanting to have a religious ceremony, but even that can be done for not a lot of money.....

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brianav
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:18 PM
Yep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mami2Jahzi
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Trust me if I could get out of having a wedding I would. I don't want one at all! BUT DF does and so does both of our families, FML!

WhitleyLyles
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:20 PM
A nice wedding means more to certain people than it does to you? What is it to you? Just because you don't understand it does not mean that it is senseless and ridiculous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
theycallmemom4
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Very true. If you can't afford to take care of your family AND have a wedding, then JOP it is. Now, if you're saving over time because you can't afford it, so be it. But seriously, I think once you have kids, the biggest thing should be taken care of your family and not spending thousands on one day.

exceptalilfish
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:21 PM

for me, i have always wanted to elope. my WHOLE life. i dont like the attention i know i wedding will bring. MIL and my mom pushed and pushed and pushed for us to have a "real" wedding.

Kylie819
by Emerald Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:23 PM
I agree that it is silly if money is tight. But if they can afford it and want it, then I think it's wonderful! I am having a big wedding in 3 1/2 weeks! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alberns303
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:24 PM

DH and I eloped......I thought maybe I would regret not having a wedding.....but I don't....not at all, lol.....

You should do what makes you happy.....if you have the money for a wedding do it, if not.....try to convince DF to elope, lol

Quoting exceptalilfish:

for me, i have always wanted to elope. my WHOLE life. i dont like the attention i know i wedding will bring. MIL and my mom pushed and pushed and pushed for us to have a "real" wedding.

katiexoxo
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:25 PM
it's important to some. i'm by no means rich, but we will save up and family will help out to give us a nice wedding. it's a celebration. and if it's cheap, i just don't want it. i want a nice small wedding. honestly that's the only appealing part to me. sure there are benefits of being married, but i want to get married to have a beautiful wedding and celebrate our love with everyone.
SP_Mama
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Because we wanted a church wedding...and we did.  We got married in our church (I'm a 4th generation at this church and I've been going there since I was a baby).  The ceremony was free and we had a backyard BBQ for our reception.  Just because we didn't have a lot of money didn't mean we were going to give up our church wedding...especially since getting married at that church was a childhood dream of mine.  Since it's our life and we are the ones living it...we did what was right for us.  :-)

alberns303
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:27 PM

I guess I am just a no fuss kind of girl.....I say go to the court house, get married and then have a hell of a party after with friends and family to celbrate....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)