Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Can Society Reduce the Numbers Of People Who Rely On Public Assistance? Stop Giving Public Assistance to EDIT: unwed mothers on welfare

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:32 PM
  • 607 Replies

What do you think of this idea?  Feel free to offer some of your own ideas to reduce the reliance on PA (public assistance).

Quote:

How Can Society Reduce the Numbers Of People Who Rely On Public Assistance? Stop Giving Public Assistance to Single Mothers.

Charles Murray argues that if the welfare safety net were at least partly removed*, women on welfare would be discouraged from having children, and people around those women--mothers, sisters, brothers, boyfriends--would join in discouraging them from having children.

Welfare (PA) women who still choose to give birth, Murray says, could do the old-fashioned thing and marry, seek charity, or put the children up for adoption in orphanages funded and run by government--a chilling thought to many politicians and welfare officials.

*not including Medicaid, for example. 

"The best way to solve America's welfare problem is to close off a large part of the welfare infrastructure--Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC)  (now called TANF) and food stamps--to single mothers. His principal exception would be Medicaid, he said, because "all children [should] have medical coverage."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1154/is_n8_v82/ai_15637924/

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
southernjess3
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:33 PM

i'm sick of everyone thinking single mothers are draining our system...

Chelsea2101
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:34 PM

I dont agree with that but I do think it would greatly reduce the amount approved for PA if they did mandatory drug test and random drug test.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:35 PM

That solution while offering a long term fix, presents a whole crapload of short term problems.

audriesmommy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Sorry I do not agree with this.  I am too pro life.  My best friend had a baby and her son is on medical assistance.  She is a great mom and that boy is her life.  She will not hae another one until she is married and able to, he was a mistake but she has learned a lot from it.

futureshock
by Emerald Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Quoting southernjess3:

I don't think "everyone" thinks that, this is only one guy (in the op).

DevinsMom94
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Mandatory birth control for anyone on PA. If it is refused the PA services will be refused.

audriesmommy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:36 PM

I do not like the PA system right now, but I do not have a problem with single mothers receiving assistance.

Quoting southernjess3:

Chelsea2101
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Yeah I dont think it is the single Mothers who are draining it ( they are usually the ones who needs it) but the lazy ppl who can work but choose not to. Wast their money on drugs and shit like that. I would love to see statistics on how many ppl on PA do drugs

Quoting southernjess3:

futureshock
by Emerald Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Quoting audriesmommy:

Sorry I do not agree with this.  I am too pro life.  My best friend had a baby and her son is on medical assistance.  She is a great mom and that boy is her life.  She will not hae another one until she is married and able to, he was a mistake but she has learned a lot from it.

Did you read the op?  Medical assistance was not part of what would be taken away.

Quote:

His principal exception would be Medicaid, he said, because "all children [should] have medical coverage."

3xangel
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:37 PM

BUMP for later! simple smile

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)