Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I use a tmobile phone w/ tracfone?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:49 PM
  • 6 Replies

I have a cheap tmobile phone. One of the ones you get for free when you start your contract with them. Anyway, does anyone know if I could activate it as a tracfone? Thanks!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

Cloth diapering Baby wearing CIO Formula feeding Vacinating Army Wife Mother of 2 boys
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:15 PM

No clue - here's a bump for ya!

ps.iloveyou
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:16 PM
Nope. U have to have a tracphone phone
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BabyinAug08
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:45 PM
Do tracfones use a chip like t mobile phones? Also is your t-mobile phone unlocked?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MyraEllen
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Quoting BabyinAug08:

Do tracfones use a chip like t mobile phones? Also is your t-mobile phone unlocked?

Bingo.  The phone must operate with a SIM card, and be unlocked.  if it isn't unlocked, I'm thinking it won't work.

I used to sell phones, and I know you can go online and try your luck with unlock codes off ebay, but 99.999% of those codes are fake, and they are just trying to get your money.  The only reputable way to get a phone unlocked is by the carrier (in this case, T-Mobile) and they won't do it if you aren't a customer.  T-Mobile used to only do it if you were a customer in good standing for a year or more, and needed ot travel internationally.

Hope this helps!

BabyinAug08
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:04 PM
This. We have 3 lines with t-mobile and have been with them for going on 4 years. You have to be a current subscriber with good standing and they will only unlock it after 90 days. But you must be in a contract. They don't do it for month 2 month costumers.

Quoting MyraEllen:

Quoting BabyinAug08:

Bingo.  The phone must operate with a SIM card, and be unlocked.  if it isn't unlocked, I'm thinking it won't work.

I used to sell phones, and I know you can go online and try your luck with unlock codes off ebay, but 99.999% of those codes are fake, and they are just trying to get your money.  The only reputable way to get a phone unlocked is by the carrier (in this case, T-Mobile) and they won't do it if you aren't a customer.  T-Mobile used to only do it if you were a customer in good standing for a year or more, and needed ot travel internationally.

Hope this helps!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CarsonsMomma111
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:22 PM

thanks guys

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)