Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you using Mirena?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:51 PM
  • 18 Replies

I was taking Tri-Sprintec after my second baby and I had a TERRIBLE time with it. I've never had so many side effects with BC. Headaches, sickness/nausea, weight gain and appetite changes; and moodiness. The moodiness was the worst - it had me feeling depressed, crying, etc. I've never experienced that with BC before.  I even considered seeing a doc about depression and medications, it was interfering with daily life that much. After looking up Tri-Sprintec side effects, I went off the pill myself and I feel so much better!! Completely myself! Sickness, headache, moodiness all gone. My OB/gyn told me it's very likely tri-sprintec was causing all the problems.

So.. looking for a better form of birth control. I'm leery now because the side effects I had with Tri-Sprintec. My OB/gyn is suggesting Mirena (IUD). They'll call me to set up the appt to have it in. I've never used anything except pills in the past.

For anyone using Mirena can you tell me how it is for you? Side effects? Problems? Or do you love it??

** oh, if you're not using Mirena, if you have a BC you would recommend please share. I want to keep my options open. Without having to use barrier methods. Thanks.

2rays0fsun

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aslen
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:54 PM

I LOVE my Mirena! However, Mirena may not be best for you if you have issues with hormonal birth control... although some people who had bad experiences with hormonal BC do fine on Mirena, because Kirena keeps the hormones localized to your reproductive area.

It also lessens and lightens or STOPS your period... *(BIG BONUS for me!)

\But, if you have a history of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, DO NOT get Mirena.

RocKstar3
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:55 PM

i have mirena and got it back in june of 2008....though it works as great birth control i dont like it.

i must be in that small percentage of women who it effects....i still have periods..sometimes twice a month..i hate that...i have the worst mood swings and my sex drive has decreased HUGE. i'm definitely looking forward to getting this removed...DH is looking into a vasectomy

babyfat5
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:56 PM

I had merina. When it went in it hurt but really not bad at all. I cramped and spotted a few days but nothing that would interfere with everyday life. I spotted off and on (more off than on) for the first 4 mos. After that I didn't get periods often with the last year of it I had not periods at all. When it came out it was quick, easy and painless.

Aslen
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Quoting RocKstar3:

i have mirena and got it back in june of 2008....though it works as great birth control i dont like it.

i must be in that small percentage of women who it effects....i still have periods..sometimes twice a month..i hate that...i have the worst mood swings and my sex drive has decreased HUGE. i'm definitely looking forward to getting this removed...DH is looking into a vasectomy

Unfortunately some women do have reactions to it. I'm sorry you're one of them...but YAY on hubs getting fixed!

ColieO
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:58 PM
Not anymore and never again. Besides the mood swings and inability to lose weight, I was always in pain, I got a massive infection in my uterus, cervix and vagina from it. It was hell for the nine months I had it. My husband didn't even want to be around me. There were days I couldn't even move because I was in so much pain. I was always exhausted too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SunShineMoMM

I effing HATE IT!! ive gained 60lbs since the day they put it in. It has caused me migranes and moodiness.  Not to mention i bleed all the damn time and its been 2 years. It has caused MANY Urinary tract infections and its completely uncomfortable during sex. 2 weeks after it was taken out i lost 15lbs and i didnt even change a thing in my daily life...

I really wish i had done more information about it B4 i had it put in. My fault and i will never EVER do it again

Good luck!

lovingwifey

I am using it and I love it!  I did bleed off and on for the first 6 months, but after that, nothing!  I love it!

IleanRight
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Say NO to mirena...went to have mine removed, they can't find it...have to have ultrasounds done. My cousin got preggo on it and now has to have surgery where it is embedded in her cervix

SunShineMoMM
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:00 PM

o i  dont think i said it was taken out 2 weeks ago..

raegansmom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:01 PM

I've had Mirena for 3 years & I love it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)