Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Women should only wear dresses and not pants

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:13 PM
  • 54 Replies

I was wondering where in the Bible it says women should only wear dresses and not pants?  DH and I were talking about it today.  I have a few friends who only wear dresses.  They say it's immodest to wear pants, and against the Biblical teachings.  The only thing I find is Deuteronomy 22:5 where it says:

"The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God."

However, in that time, men didn't wear pants.  They wore robes.  Does that then mean that women can wear 'pants', because men didn't wear 'pants'?  Was it the color, material, pattern that differentiated between the two?  Why was it changed to mean that men wore pants and women wore dresses?  Sorry so many questions... I just think a lot.  :) 

Welcoming our 6th baby, 3rd home birth and 1st unassisted birth on 2-10-10.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cntrlut
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:14 PM

That's a good question, here's a bump!

rockinmama07
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:15 PM

BUMP!

mommas3cubs

I wear dresses and skirts ( always knee length or longer)  it makes me feel more feminine, just my personal preference though.

klynn80

I don't know, I don't follow the Bible, and have always worn pants.

mommyoftwo103

Quoting mommas3cubs:

I wear dresses and skirts ( always knee length or longer)  it makes me feel more feminine, just my personal preference though.

Stephanie329
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:16 PM

This won't be popular but it sounds to me like it's saying don't dress as a man if you are a woman and vice versa. There are no specifics to that verse, i.e. pants, skirts, etc.

klynnr1981
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Here's another question: Why should what a woman wears be governed by the Bible??

haydensmama08
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Correct me if i am wrong but i thought that Deuteronomy was in the old testament. If so then I was always taught that the new testament was what our guidelines for today are. Thats why in the old they talk about giving sacrifices and in the new they dont. Because in the old we they needs to give sacrifices for forgiveness but in the new Jesus came and now we no longer have to do the sacrifice.

audriesmommy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:18 PM

This is old Jewish law.

Quoting klynnr1981:

Here's another question: Why should what a woman wears be governed by the Bible??

LylahBellesMom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:19 PM

because its what we follow as christians

Quoting klynnr1981:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)