Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want SS's sister to live with us.

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:31 PM
  • 6 Replies

This is what my BFF said to me today! Of course I think she's crazy... but here's the story...

Her and DH are custodial. BM is in Prison. SS has a 1/2 sister who lives with her bio dad due to the circumstances and he wants nothing to do with her. She is 10 years old, has no guidance, and is now on FB saying she's 17, interested in men, and that she is in a relationship. She has a cell phone and that number, along with her email address, are available on her PUBLIC profile! My BFF has emailed the Aunt of SS's sister, but no response. She thinks the family all knows about this stuff, but chooses to do nothing about it.

So, my BFF wants to discuss having her live with them and have some sort of guardian arrangement made up.

Would you do this?

Oh.. this is the second senario I've posted for BFF in the past couple of days (the first was about having the two of them share a room...). She's not a member and doesn't want to be, but values the opinions shared with the first post and now wants to see your thoughts on this issue. Thx!

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Kenre
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:34 PM

If it can be agreed about... I don't really see the issue. I hope she can handle the child, though.

klynn80
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Does she have the time and energy to devote to helping this obviously disturbed child?  Will bringing this child into her home disturb it negatively?  I would suggest if she really wants to pursue this, get in touch with a child psychologist for a consult at least if she does get the girl.  This is not a problem that will go away with a change of scenery.

2cool4school
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:42 PM

She's here and says yes, she can devote time to helping the child. And SS's sister isn't really disturbed... simply misguided and lacking a decent role model in her life. 

Part of the issue with this girl is that she was separated from her brother (BFF's SS) at a young age and they have never had a chance to build a relationship. She is asking all the time to call him and talk to him... now she wants to come visit... and now that my friend and her DH know the situation fully, they are willing to make an effort, and a commitment, for this little girls sake

Quoting klynn80:

Does she have the time and energy to devote to helping this obviously disturbed child?  Will bringing this child into her home disturb it negatively?  I would suggest if she really wants to pursue this, get in touch with a child psychologist for a consult at least if she does get the girl.  This is not a problem that will go away with a change of scenery.

momofnhimai
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:43 PM

bump

EmilySerene
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Good for her!  As long as she feels that her own family won't be negatively effected, I say go for it!  Sounds like her and her DH may be just what his child needs.  Sometimes all it takes is for a child to know that someone cares enough to set boundaries for them.  It will probably be rough going at first; but, knowing that a child you care about is safe, is always well worth it, in my book. 

lovemysnugbugs
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:51 PM

I think it's wonderful that she cares enough about that child to want to help her.  If she has the time and energy to devote to helping her, I say go for it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)