Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i just want to be married!

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:40 PM
  • 25 Replies

i was trying to search how much it cost to get married at the courthouse and this was the first thing i clicked on. it is just discouraging!!

After over 10 years of officiating weddings at the courthouse, I stopped. Put simply, getting married at the courthouse is a rotten experience.
Sitting in the hallway with lawyers and probations - possibly for hours - is neither fast nor romantic. Courthouse weddings also are
not cheap.

Marriages that start at the courthouse -
                                                                         end at the courthouse.
The divorce rate for courthouse marriages is over 80%. More than 4 out of 5 marriages that start at the courthouse
will end at the courthouse.
The courthouse is where you go for a divorce, not a marriage.

How long will a courthouse ceremony take? It depends on when the judge has time to see you. That might be minutes, hours, or "come
back tomorrow."

Candidly, many couples go to the courthouse wanting a fast, cheap, and easy marriage ceremony. But that probably is not what really
will happen. Nor is getting married to be treated like a dentist appointment. Getting married can be fast, easy, cheap -  romantic & fun.

For less cost, time and effort, you can have an elopement without dressing up or fuss - BUT that also is romantic. easy, cheap and memorable.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Don't be discouraged. My mom and dad married at the courthouse 35+ yrs ago and are still happily married to each other today. My husband and I married at the courthouse 10+ yrs ago and are still happily married to each other today. My aunt and her husband married at the courthouse 27 yrs ago as of last week and are still happily married today.

mommypeezee
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:46 PM

whoever wrote that can suck a lemon...

we got married at the courts and all we had to pay for was the marriage license, but i forgot how much it was....45??

try calling your county clerk. good luck!

michelle121003
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:49 PM

My sis got married at the courthouse...think it was like $30 or something like that.  They have been married for 2 years now.  I know she called and made an appointment for it, so we weren't all sitting there all day waiting for a judge.  You can only have a limited amount of people in the room with you guys though.  Good luck and congrats!!  :)

SweetMama823
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:50 PM

I got married at the courthouse it was quick for us and only cost like $75 bucks! I got married at 16 its been almost 12yrs with 4 kids and we're still going strong!! :) so don't believe that crap!

SunShineMoMM
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:51 PM

it is what you make it.. Mine was awesome.

Shaylyn318
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:52 PM

We got married at the courthouse and it was quicker and less expensive than a wedding. We live in a small town so we only waited maybe 15 minutes.

People who have huge weddings get divorced too.

At least with a courthouse wedding you don't have to feed a bunch of people you would rather not see anyway.

KellyMarie105
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Go have a destination wedding. Don't sell yourself short on a courthouse wedding. I know many people do it, and I'm not trying to sound disrespectful.. but I think you can do better than that.

shanequa678
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:53 PM
We got married at the courthouse and paid 45 dollars and no lawyers and it was quick we had an appointment so we didnt have to wait. There was nothing wrong with it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
onethentwins
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:54 PM

There's everything right about wanting to be married and nothing wrong with not wanting a big wedding. I'll bet the person who wrote this makes a living in the Wedding industry.

GoddessNDaRuff
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:57 PM

I think that's BS. Don't be discouraged. Courthouse is better than going into debt on some big fancy wedding where the dress alone is over $2,000 dollars. Many older couples married 25+ years were married in the courthouse.

I got married in court by a judge and she made it so special for us and beautiful. I didn't even had a "wedding dress" but I still look at it as one of the best moments of my life. If your getting married for the right reasons the romantic part is that you are committing yourself to the person you love and who loves you back. I'm getting ready to cry (happy tears) thinking back on mine. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)