Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

should i bring my 4yr old to a funeral???

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:41 PM
  • 24 Replies

a lady from church we know died today and we want to go to the funeral friday but my dd who will be 4 on sunday has never been to a funeral before. she has only helped us bury my moms cats a few weeks ago but never a person so what do you think should i bring her???

CafeMom Tickers

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alwaysmom76
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:42 PM

I think it depends on the maturity of your 4 y/o.  If you think that she would sit quietly, it should be fine.  But if she won't, I would not bring her.

Ask me how you can earn a few bucks quickly and easily! :)

angeleyes0306
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:44 PM

When my great aunt died i had my 3 year old and my 1 year old...my bro took his 2 year old. they did great but i agree..it depends on the kid.

mommaboudreaux
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:44 PM

How well does she know this lady?  I don't think it is a bad idea to expose children to funerals.  Just keep her away from the coffin, to avoid a traumatic experience.  Maybe sit toward the back.

LylahBellesMom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:45 PM

i wouldnt

michelle121003
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:45 PM

My aunt passed away a few months ago and I took my 6yo dd to the showing, but not the funeral.  I know she wouldn't have been able to sit there for the whole thing.  It would depend on the maturity level of your child.  But keep in mind that sometimes the kiddo thinks everything is ok, then it all comes together and the kiddo has a freak out!!

beaugrl0824
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:46 PM

We have taken dd to all of the funerals and wakes that we have attended since she was born, she does wonderful. But I agree it really depends on the child

mommyofagirl06

my dd didnt know her personally we talked to her in church a few times

Quoting mommaboudreaux:

How well does she know this lady?  I don't think it is a bad idea to expose children to funerals.  Just keep her away from the coffin, to avoid a traumatic experience.  Maybe sit toward the back.

CafeMom Tickers

bjdmom

Yeah, my mom didn't take me to funerals when I was little and I didn't take my kids. My kids and I experienced our first funerals together and it was for their dad. They had questions that I was unable to answer.

Brooke501

No

kksmommy23
No
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)