Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think sex ed is better taught in "richer" schools?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:47 PM
  • 35 Replies

Just asking. From grade 4 to grade 6 I went to a very low income school.   I specifically remember being taught sex ed in the 5th grade and being told that a "condom has holes in it big enough to let sperm through but not the HIV virus"  And I kept thinking to myself..well then how do people prevent pregnancy? Lol. I know that 5th grade for me was about 12-13 years ago but still, my teacher should have known enough to know that is not the way a condom works.

I just wonder if because I went to a very poor school maybe the sex education wasn't as good as it would have been had I went to a better school. When I got to middle school it was not one of the "poorer" middle school, in fact it was the number 1 rated one in my county at the time. We were taught sex ed again and I feel the info taught then was much more accurate.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LylahBellesMom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:49 PM

i went to private school and they didnt teach me anything i didnt already know, but they did NOT tell me there were holes in conoms lol

carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:50 PM

lol I'm just glad I didn't have sex at that age like some kids do. I'd have wound up pregnant for sure haha

babyfat5
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Ditto!

Quoting LylahBellesMom:

i went to private school and they didnt teach me anything i didnt already know, but they did NOT tell me there were holes in conoms lol

Sirenabella
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:51 PM

I think damn near everything is taught better in "richer" schools if they bothered to add it to the curriculum.

katzero
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:52 PM

My kids will go to private school, and they teach abstinence. So yes, I would say it's better.

Kristen1010
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:53 PM
My kids go to Catholic school so they won't be hearing about condoms or any birth control for that matter. They will learn sex education from us - his parents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tam84
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:55 PM
it doesnt matter what bracket the school is in if theres an idiot teaching the class. The accuracy of the information being passed on depends totally on the knowledge of the teacher.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SpiritFortress
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:03 PM

I put my children in an expensive private school. It completely sucked, very big waste of money. Then we opted for public school. When the kids from the private school joined back up with the kids from the public school in 9th grade, the kids from the private schools were as bad or worse than the public school kids. The public school here sucks as well. This fall, my children will be schooled at home, through an online academy. I'm done screwing around with shitty schools. :)

carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:03 PM

See I don't know so much whether my teacher was uneducated or following what the school wanted her to teach. If I was a teacher I could not tell the kids a lie like that but maybe they made her teach us that? idk..she was my favorite teacher actually.

The only other thing that she did was instead of teaching us science she let us watch "Bill Nye the Science Guy"  Idk if the school cut corners in that aspect or what lol. All I remember is her telling us she hated science and wasn't good at it so we'd watch Bill Nye instead, whether that was true or just something she said to cover up the fact that we didn't have money for science I don't know..

CafeMom Tickers
SpiritFortress
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:04 PM

I think being educated on sex should come first and foremost from the parents. Good job! :)

Quoting Kristen1010:

My kids go to Catholic school so they won't be hearing about condoms or any birth control for that matter. They will learn sex education from us - his parents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)