Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it worth it?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:50 PM
  • 28 Replies

Poll

Question: Would it be worth it?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 30

View Results

My husband has been struggling to make money in this economy.  He works in sales so his pay checks vary week to week.  Over the weekend he came across this job.  He would have to go to a school for 4-5 weeks to get trained and the website says 80% of graduates reach their employment goals 3 weeks after graduating.  The average worker in this field makes over 80k a year.  The catch is...he would have to travel about 75% of the time.  Would the money be worth him being gone so much??? 

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anetrnlov
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Nope....that would not work for my family.

klynn80
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:51 PM

I would find out if there is a market in your area before I committed to anything.  My husband's Army so the travel wouldn't bother me at all. 

Brenna
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:52 PM
I wouldn't do it. But 80k doesn't get you too far here, anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LStambaugh
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Quoting klynn80:

I would find out if there is a market in your area before I committed to anything.  My husband's Army so the travel wouldn't bother me at all. 

Well he would sign on with a company and then the company would send him to job sites throughout the country.  

SweetMama823
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:53 PM

No way!! Its not worth it him always being gone missing out on everything especially if you have little ones. He will probably regret it later. Money comes and goes. Most marriages end up in divorces b/c of that. GOOD LUCK!

becca1980
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:53 PM

it would work for me I love it when hubby is gone :) he smothers me when he is home all the time.

judybant
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:55 PM

that depends... is the "school" run by the actual employer? Or is it an "independant" for-profit school? Because if it's an independent, for profit school, they can skew the results any way they want, to make it look good. A friend of mine spent 20K on a university of pheonix degree... and guess what? Their "90% of all graduates meet career goals within 6 months" was actually 90% of ALL graduates, from EVERY university, and while the SCHOOL is "accredited", her chosen field of study is NOT accredited, and she can NOT get the needed licenses, in order to get a job, and she can't get a license, without having a job, but no place will hire her, because her degree program is not accredited. There was an article in Newsweek not long ago regarding this exact thing. Make sure he does a LOT of research on the school, the program, and where exactly they're getting their statistics from.

gaugesmomma1209
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Get a camper, and go with! Thats what my DH and I are planning to do :)

LStambaugh
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Quoting gaugesmomma1209:

Get a camper, and go with! Thats what my DH and I are planning to do :)

Thats what he wants me to do!  But my DS has speech delays and really needs to be in preschool for it.  Unfortunately that wouldnt work for us.

klynn80
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:58 PM

If it's a guaranteed job, then I would support my husband doing it.  If it was just something from the school saying he'll be employed and making X amount of dollars, I'd investigate it a lot deeper.  Schools leave out details, say one thing and do another, etc. 

Quoting LStambaugh:

Quoting klynn80:

Well he would sign on with a company and then the company would send him to job sites throughout the country.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)