Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SO of PA post: Out of wedlock births are more of a drain on society than drugs, crime, etc.

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:10 PM
  • 1 Replies

A lot of moms are upset in the PA post. There are some issues that have not been addressed in that post, so I thought I would add this. FTR: I do not agree with his statements. 

He is a right winger whose definition of "single mother" is really one of a mom who has never been married. He thinks that men, boyfriends, parents, etc. would resist a girl having a baby if there was no PA......He further claims that OUT OF WEDLOCK BIRTHS ARE THE REAL PROBLEM.

"Out-of-wedlock births--not crime or drugs or poverty or illiteracy or homelessness--constitute "the single most important social problem of our time," Murray contends. Illegitimacy has produced a huge "underclass" in the black community and is within a whisker of doing the same among whites, he says, and this trend is creating the very dynamics that produce growing numbers of welfare recipients."

This is a comment from the same article posted in the PA post.

I don't think there is an easy answer to society's woes. As a mom of two boys, I have always emphasized that they have a responsibility to any child they father. My personal beliefs are:date, engagement, marriage, then children. If they made a decision to go another way, I would love my grandchildren. I have told my sons that if they ever failed to support their children (when they have them) I will come back from the grave and haunt them. They have seen their father fail to support them so they know how painful that is, so I don't think they will be guilty of failure to support a child.

So, do you agree with this part of his statement?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
tomatoqueen
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:16 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)