Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We just put our kitty down!!!!

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:20 PM
  • 23 Replies

Today is insanely diffficult. My cat has  been struggling with hyperthyroidism for a few years now. We tried medication last year (when we found out he had it) and nothing worked. By then, he weighed 10 1/2 lbs. Two years before that, he was 23 lbs! Today, we took him into the vet to see if he was suffering and the vet said that he probably has all sorts of intestinal problems as well as the thyroid condition, and other problems on top of THOSE. He turned 14 in May. The vet said that if we put all sorts of money into treatments, we could probably get another couple years out of him, but his quality of life would not even be worth it. He would have had to have multiple surgeries, pills 3x a day and all sorts of other stuff. He suggested that we put him down today. We agreed. Then, we realized that we have not even anywhere near enough money in our checking account to pay for him to be put down, so I had to RUSH home (10 minute drive) and transfer money from our savings and rush back. I missed it by 4 minutes. *sob* I'm so upset I couldn't be there for him. My SO was, but I really wanted to hold his sweet face so he wouldn't be scared. I hope he wasn't. I hope he knows how much I love him and how much my heart is breaking thinking that I will never see him again. I buried my face in his fur, stroked his cheek and kissed the top of his head one last time. We can't afford to get his ashes back, so I cut off a couple of his wiskers to put on my altar, next to his picture. I hope his transition was an easy one and I hope he can breathe freely, run without pain and I hope he can see without restriction (his eyes were in really bad shape from the disease). I hope he doesn't think we put him down because he was unloved and unwanted. I just can't stand thinking about it. I hope he knows that I wanted to be there to hold his furry little hand while he took his last breath. I hope we meet again at the rainbow bridge and I hope it's everything he has been hoping for and I hope that he is released from all of his ailments and can run like a kitten again. 

My poor, sweet man. I love you and miss you more than you can imagine. Some say you're 'only a cat', but you were so much more than that to me. You saw me grow into a woman and loved both of my kids just as much as you possibly could. You were my baby before I even had babies and I will never forget that. You were the best cat I ever had and you are irreplaceable and unforgettable. 

Rest in sweet slumber, Lexus!!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” ~Mahatma Ghandi

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
klynn80
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:22 PM

I'm so sorry for your poor kitty :(

LollipopDreams
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:23 PM

I'm so sorry

halleys_mommy_1
by +Logan on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:23 PM

sadI'm sorry

No_Worries
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:24 PM

omg i am in tears, its never easy loosing a pet, just know that he is not suffering anymore, and be thankful u were blessed with him in ur life

firefly63701
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:26 PM
Im sorry, putting down a pet is one of those difficult but sometimes needed decisions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomTo2Boys2526
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:26 PM

=( Sorry! He was a beautiful cat!

CAMKsMom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:27 PM

I am sorry for the loss of your furbaby.  I've been there.  I had a cat named Tom when I was growing up.  He came into my life when I was in the 5th grade and he made a grand exit when I graduated from college.  I do miss him.  Hugs, Mama!

kmab0629
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:28 PM

sadI'm sorry.

Butterfly1108
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:28 PM
Sniff... I am so sorry for your loss. he is in a better place ;)
manda14311
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:29 PM
I'm so so sorry. and he knew he was loved.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)