Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babysitting too much? What would you do? Edited in red

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:28 PM
  • 29 Replies

Okay,here's the thing. I babysit a 3 month old baby girl. Her mother and father both work. Well her dead beat father was sitting at home in front of the computer playing War Of Warcraft.( I know this for the fact my husband plays it every now and then and the guy  is on his, plus his wife has told me also.) Any ways I baby sit this lovely little girl Sunday thru Thursday. And most of the time on Fridays and Saturdays. While her mother is doing her community service, adn her father sits on his game.

Well, the hours  were sundays: 3:30 pm to 10:30 pm. They always brought her to me about 11:30 am -12:00. Monday thru Thursday 1:30pm till 11:30 pm and they would drop her by my house  11:00-12:00pm. Well this week for some unknown reason her schedule changed with her knowing it. With out her employer telling her. I didn't think that was possible? Hmm? That's not it. Starting today she brought her to me at 8:30am and told be she got off at 7:00 pm. Woudl be here to get her, if she had a ride to come and pick her up. (During this time this morning, her husband was still a sleep and didn't have to be at work untill 1:30 pm. However , he won't watch her or change her diaper). If she couldn't find a ride it would be 11:30 -12 pm tonight.

I don't get paid to watch this child, I buy this child diapers, wipes, food. She told me her doctor told her that a baby shouldn't get a bath but once or twice a week. ( Yeah right, i gave my children a bath everynight) Never heard of this. Also she brings her to me with a soak to the bone diaper. ( like the ones you find on a child when  they first wake up ofa morning.and this was at 11:30 am) This mother nevers tells me of shes eaten at this time, will be ready for a bottle at this time. NOTHING like this.

I have figure it out this mother only has her child 8 hours a day, adn this at night when shes a sleep and the little girl sleeps thru the night as well.

What would you do? I have said something to her, and doesn't seem to do any good.

Update:  She finnaly paid me. However her hours at her job have gotten worse and longer. Just today I wasn't susposed to have her until 3:30 pm! I ended up with her child at 10:30 am, with her telling me that she had  community service to do and then run around paying bills, then striaght to work. Well turns out at 11:30 pm, she calls me, making up an excuse about her husbands getting off later than normal, and then something about bring my kids cupcakes,( kiss my butt now! don't you think?) Well, here's pot calling kettle back! She had the never to tell me she had to stop at walmart and get antibacterial soap, because she got her lip peirced! Now that's my kind of mom,spending her money on  something like that, while I'm buying her diapers for her daughter. Wow! isn't that nice of me? I know my fault, but I did get paid today! $120 dollars, for three weeks! I'm not compliaing, at least I got something.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jadegirl1819
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Why don't you get paid? 

wife.and.mommy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:30 PM

uhmmm, why would you watch this child and NOT get paid.

mistake #1

STOP WATCHING HER

tinasfriend
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:32 PM

has she checking into state assisted child care. if she gets approved the state would pay you, plus her. i'd also find out where she's employed and call and get her schedule. there's no reason for her child to be with you all the time.

jmsbowtie
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Umm not really sure what I would do depends on how I knew these people and how close I was to them.  On the bath part it may be that the child has eczema so can only have a bath a couple time a week (that's how my daughter was when she was younger.) Anyways good luck

anetrnlov
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Stop watching her or start charging her.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:33 PM

I possibly would let the authorities know and go check out the living space.    I would also charge some amount since this girl is not a relative of yours.

klynn80
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:35 PM

stop watching her, or start charging.

eczema could cause the doc to say not too many baths.

jessigarrett
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:35 PM

id stop watching the kid

estrellasbebe
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:36 PM

I can't be of help. I'm currently watching my SIL's son 4 days a week- 10 1/2 hrs a day... for 1 buck an hour. I have 4 kids of my own.. I have to be up at 5am to watch him.. I'm exhausted and never get enough sleep, but I don't want to cause issues with the in-laws. On top of the lack of sleep, she never sends with him what he needs for the entire day.. she's very irresponsible and selfish.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:36 PM

How did you get into watching a kid most of the time without getting paid?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)