Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

was he in the right? for all religions opinions, but spin off of the "claim to be Christian" post.

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:20 PM
  • 17 Replies

After i had my dd i was trying very hard to get my best friend to come to church with me.  she was raised as Chatholic... loosely.  she didn't believe in God and was uncomfortable with the subject. finally i got her to come to church a few times.  around Christmas time that year a woman very close to her passed because of cancer.  everyone loved this woman. 

after the funeral service my friend called me so upset.  the man doing the service told EVERYONE at her service that she would be spending an eternity in hell because she wasn't saved.  the people there were hurt and outraged. i NEVER got my friend to step back into a church.  this woman's son got quickly severely depressed.  one day about 5 months or so after his mom passed i was at my friends house at a party. he was there and very drunk.  he asked me if i would talk with him outside. he wanted to know if it was true if his mom was in hell.  so i started asking questions about her.  he said that before she died she wanted to go to church and his dad wouldn't let her.  so then i asked if he was ever taught about Jesus. he said yes.  "who taught you?" "my mom"

why would she teach her son that if you didn't believe?  so that preacher assumed that she went to hell and told everyone she loved that she was in hell.

now was he right to feed them all the fire and brimstone bit?

hera-1-1.gif picture by kbbgmom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LollipopDreams
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:24 PM
That is just wrong. He should have never disrespected her like that or her family. His ass should have been punched out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:25 PM

that preacher dont know if that lady accpeted god into her heart. so i feel he cant say that about her because he and everyone eles dont know..

MomX04
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:27 PM

No he was very wrong.  I hope you were able to get her son the peace of mind he needed.

Aslen
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:27 PM

UGH see I hate "Christians" like that. they make the rest of us look bad!

I'm part of the religious left:

Sweet_Faith
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:28 PM

That preacher was so wrong and not the way God wants us to be as Christians.  Were supposed to love on people, not scare them away! Only God knows hearts and draws them to himself and he does use people to plant those seeds so that they may grow for when their time comes to accept Christ into their hearts and lives.

countryspun
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:29 PM

He was so very wrong.

l0v3myg1rl5
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:30 PM

that is more than Wrong! I can't see how someone could make that kind of announcement at a funeral. I think that was disrespectful to everyone there.

Sweet_Faith
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Quoting l0v3myg1rl5:

that is more than Wrong! I can't see how someone could make that kind of announcement at a funeral. I think that was disrespectful to everyone there.

I agree, sounds to me like that preacher might be a member of "Westboro" church or should be by the sounds of him and he's an embarrassment to the real Christians out there.

krystlzd3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:37 PM

That preacher was in the wrong!! Hopefully you can convince your friend to try again and hopefully the son gets the peace he needs.

CCCs
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:38 PM

i never saw him again after that night.  but as soon as he told me that i started crying.  i told him that i believe with every fiber of my being that she was in heaven because if she didn't believe she wouldn't have taught him. 

i heard through the grape vine that he has pulled his life together.

he said something that we all should remember when bringing the message. 

"my mom was the best person. and i don't want to be in heaven if she isn't there"

Quoting MomX04:

No he was very wrong.  I hope you were able to get her son the peace of mind he needed.

hera-1-1.gif picture by kbbgmom
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)