Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Yes, I'm ignorant when it comes to mental illness...so help me understand...

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:26 PM
  • 8 Replies

Isn't it general knowledge that one should not hear voices?

Isn't it general knowledge that one should not wish to murder people (And I mean really...not in the 'my husband left the toilet seat up again, i'm gonna kill him' kind of way)

So if these things are happening, how are these people unable to seek help? They manage to 'pretend' to function normally. Purposely NOT telling people they hear voices, or whatever.

Is it a fear of 'oh no, people will look at me a certain way if I am mentally ill'?

Or do they REALLY not know? Have NO CLUE...that there might be something wrong?

People commit themselves to psych wards all the time when they think things aren't right...so how can some people know, but others are apparently oblivious?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Sportbominable
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:27 PM

It's bull that they don't know. 

alotta_fagina
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:28 PM

People know when something isn't right, but the problem is that those signs can go ignored and very quickly turn into a situation where the mental illness takes over and he or she doesn't even know they have one.

Beautifulmom513
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:30 PM

i think they are just really scared and really ashamed to ask for help and have people know. they probably think it will go away or that they can deal w/ it on their own. i have never dealt w/ it so that is my only guess. also i really think some of them are so mentally ill they have no idea there is something wrong.

Denecia
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:31 PM
Maybe embarrassment. I went a whole year with issues and I was afraid to admit them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nemiller
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:31 PM

i think you're assuming that people with mental illnesses have normally functioning brains, suddenly start getting these symptoms, and ignore it.  a lot of times, there's a slow decline.  other people are ignored and belittled by the people around them, being accused of making stuff up or being dramatic.  my mother was bipolar and she didn't just suddenly start getting paranoid delusions and the desire to kill herself.  those things developed and worsened over time.  by the time the most serious of her symptoms started, her brain functions weren't like yours or mine.  this is a woman who seriously thought the lives of her husband and teenage children would be better if she killed herself.  most people scream about suicide being selfish (which it is, don't get me wrong), but to a mentall ill person, it makes PERFECT sense.  can you imagine your brain telling you that for no real reason that THAT is your best option? 

KaylasMiracle
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Because in true psychosis...especially undiagnosed...the hallucinations and voices seem so real that they truly believe they are real. It's very much like Autism where some are affected more severly than others...those less affected can tell those voices should NOT be there and have themselves commited.

Idiosyncratic
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:35 PM

They know...

sometimes (most times) for them it's easier to get through life without other people knowing....

sometimes they think the voices are friends and the doctors will make them go away...

sometimes they think the doctors are out to harm them...

sometimes the anti psychotic meds really suck to be on and they'd rather hear the voices then feel the meds...

sometimes they think they've been given a gift that others are just jealous of and want to take away....

there's thousands of different reasons....

Just_Bethy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Quoting Idiosyncratic:

They know...

sometimes (most times) for them it's easier to get through life without other people knowing....

sometimes they think the voices are friends and the doctors will make them go away...

sometimes they think the doctors are out to harm them...

sometimes the anti psychotic meds really suck to be on and they'd rather hear the voices then feel the meds...

sometimes they think they've been given a gift that others are just jealous of and want to take away....

there's thousands of different reasons....

Somedays...I REALLY love you!!!!!

Blessed Lammas

Drillers Wife, Toughest Job In The Oil Field.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)