Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

needle phobia.......

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:29 PM
  • 21 Replies

anyone out there there suffer from this? my 18 yr old daughter has to get a tb test and some inoculations for college and she is just a mees about it! i was reading that this condition affects about 10% of our population and is very real. just the thought of these shots sends her into tears:( anyone else have this problem or know someone who does? i am wondering if hypnosis would work? im willing to try anything at this point! her apt. is tomm:(

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nellbug
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:33 PM

I hate needles.  If I can avoid it I won't even be in the room if one of my kids needs shots or a blood draw.  I have passed from having a blood draw.  I am not sure what will help.  I usually do some deep breathing if I need shots or blood drawn or if I have to be in the room with my kids. 

On a side not I have two tattoos.  Still hate needles but for some reason tattoo needles don't bother me as much.

brittany89
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:34 PM
Im terrified of needles. Which is why I dnt have my ears peirced
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
winterbaby2926
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:37 PM

ME!! omg im almost 17 and i bawl my eyes out before a doctors appt. and if i find out i have to get a suprise updated shot. just a shot it takes 4 nurses! 2 holdin me down one at the door and the other giving the shot just for a 5 second shot. but i cant take needels. especially IV's.

thats why NO NO NO NO epidural for me. i dont care how much pain im in. NO. im gonna sign the paper not to let me have one.

but as i know of there is no cure. atleast none ive heard of. good luck tho and i feel bad shes so afraid like that :( i know how she feels. it really sucks.

Good luck!

boobaliscious
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:43 PM

I used to be, but having my daughter completely changed that. I would cry uncontrollably, now it doesn't even phase me, I don't know what to tell ya though.

serah
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:45 PM

yep thats needle phobia. passing out is definitely a symptom. yes deep breathing is helpful they said too. my daughter was just telling me that she was watching an old movie the rescuers down under. its about a mouse that is trying to help a little boy escape and there is a scene where a bird is hurt and the mice are taking care of him and he is afraid of getting a shot and they strap him down and he is screaming no and they shoot needles into him so they can operate on him. she said it brought back memories of how that scene scared her! this is just what my research said . two things can cause needle phobia one a child is traumatized by needles or two they see or hear about someone else being traumatized by needles!

haha tattoos.... guess cuz its not a medical procdure you can handle it! thanks!

Quoting nellbug:

I hate needles.  If I can avoid it I won't even be in the room if one of my kids needs shots or a blood draw.  I have passed from having a blood draw.  I am not sure what will help.  I usually do some deep breathing if I need shots or blood drawn or if I have to be in the room with my kids. 

On a side not I have two tattoos.  Still hate needles but for some reason tattoo needles don't bother me as much.

serah
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:46 PM

yep neither does my dd!!

Quoting brittany89:

Im terrified of needles. Which is why I dnt have my ears peirced

Aamy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Sure, i did. But how i got over it, im in class for Medical Assistant, i volunteered for everyone and anyone that needed to draw blood or give injections. I would just have her go and not watch them give her the shot. Its not that bad. Go with her if need be and hold her hand. 

serah
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:48 PM

aaaawww... thanks ill tell her and god bless you and your baby! would love to hear how the birth goes and maybe this will get you over your needle phobia!

Quoting winterbaby2926:

ME!! omg im almost 17 and i bawl my eyes out before a doctors appt. and if i find out i have to get a suprise updated shot. just a shot it takes 4 nurses! 2 holdin me down one at the door and the other giving the shot just for a 5 second shot. but i cant take needels. especially IV's.

thats why NO NO NO NO epidural for me. i dont care how much pain im in. NO. im gonna sign the paper not to let me have one.

but as i know of there is no cure. atleast none ive heard of. good luck tho and i feel bad shes so afraid like that :( i know how she feels. it really sucks.

Good luck!

serah
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:51 PM

i totally agree....i just told her what you said and she said i have to look and i am going in with her i always do and yes i hold her hand.....thanks.....its been five years since her last shot so we will see!

Quoting Aamy:

Sure, i did. But how i got over it, im in class for Medical Assistant, i volunteered for everyone and anyone that needed to draw blood or give injections. I would just have her go and not watch them give her the shot. Its not that bad. Go with her if need be and hold her hand. 

nellbug
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:51 PM

With the tattoos I think it is because it is a different type of needle.  You don't really see them. 

I can't even watch people get shot on tv.

Quoting serah:

yep thats needle phobia. passing out is definitely a symptom. yes deep breathing is helpful they said too. my daughter was just telling me that she was watching an old movie the rescuers down under. its about a mouse that is trying to help a little boy escape and there is a scene where a bird is hurt and the mice are taking care of him and he is afraid of getting a shot and they strap him down and he is screaming no and they shoot needles into him so they can operate on him. she said it brought back memories of how that scene scared her! this is just what my research said . two things can cause needle phobia one a child is traumatized by needles or two they see or hear about someone else being traumatized by needles!

haha tattoos.... guess cuz its not a medical procdure you can handle it! thanks!

Quoting nellbug:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)